Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm tubeless!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I'm tubeless!

Well, I finally got my new rims and tires on. I got the Harley roulette wheels, 16 rear and 17 front, and Metzler 888's. I got three tire irons from harbor freight, ordered a static balancer off of ebay, and got that part squared away. The back tire took the three tire irons to get on. It was stiff. And I had left it in the sun to soften up also. The front wasn't near as bad. The only trouble I had was the rear rotor bolts, getting them off the old rim (I broke two torq bits) Ended up buying a bottle of propane and heated each bolt for a couple of minutes to loosen up the loctite and such. Then they came right off. Also, my rear caliper pistons had stuck out so I couldn't slip the caliper over the rotor when re-installing the rear wheel. It was pretty gunked up. One piston looked cocked a tad, so I ended up popping it out and re-installing it. Then, re-bled to the rear brake. I've got ABS, so I avoided turning the ignition on! Also had to drill out two rear bolt holes in the fender to lift it up, and it was rubbing. It worked fine. One last thing to do is I have to re-adjust the belt. It was in spec on the stand, and before I took it for the test ride, and when I came back and checked it, it had loosened up a tad. So, it should be good to go from there. All in all, it went fairly smooth. Got a couple of nice cuts and such, but I learned a lot, and saved some dough, and I know it was done right, everything torqued to spec. And the scoot looks great, and no more tubes to worry about if I get a flat on the road. And no scrapes on my knuckles when cleaning the white walls. They were getting ugly.

Attached Thumbnails I'm tubeless!-harley-rims-1.jpg   I'm tubeless!-harley-rims-2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Is tubeless a southern way of saying comando? Just making sure. Sorry couldn't resist.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, you'll have to ask the natives here. But it works for me.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:18 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Seriously glad it all went ok. Looks good. Nice when they are clean. Then you just walk around the bike time and time again and admire your work.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I love the look. A little on the bad azz side, and the the other perks that go along with it. Thanks for the comments bro.