Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why doesn't harley fix their problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

I have heard of each of the listed problems but I have had none of them with my 2 Harleys. All manufacturers have issues and live with the percentage of failures that occur. Most do not have any problems, thankfully.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:08 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

these are problems we have seen over the years. every make has problems, but hd seems to let them go on for years without doing anything about it. i knew what i had when i owned my panhead and shovelhead, knew what to expect. it just seems HD goes backwards with some of their ideas. i've always made my harleys better when i encountered problems with them, but for what they are getting for a new bike there really shoudn't be any.

i agree if you do performance mods expect to beef it up, but stock bikes should not be seeing shifted flywheels and bearings going bad. hd has had crappy lifters for years and when they go bad they wipe out alot of other parts. i'll say it again, i wouldn't and havn't ridden anything else for the 50 years i've been riding, but if HD wants to keep new customers going up they better improve their quailty control.
i have a friend who has ridden Harley for years and buys a new one every couple years because he puts big miles on them. last year he went to an Indian. said he was tried of the underpowered Harleys. he rides the **** out of this thing and it seems to be holding up well. it's not my thing and i truly look for him to come back to Harley . it's just hard to argue the fact of HD's poor quailty parts. oh weel, as i say we were just shooting the breeze last night and figured if HD would take care of certain issues they would command the market.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Four Harley's and well over 100k miles and never one of the above listed problems.

I did have a transmission issue (known) in my 2010 Ultra. Fixed under warranty and fixed right.

I consider myself a happy owner. Far more enjoyment than issues.

The following users liked this post:
Heritage07 (08-11-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:37 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
if HD would take care of certain issues they would command the market.
Have you looked around? They already command the market. What incentive do they have?
Within 50 miles of me there are no less than 7 HD dealers. And about that many of all the others combined, many of which are multiple brand dealerships.

INJEKTER (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Once again I feel left out. I don't have any of those problems.
Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Me three .......
Can't say I haven't but I'll admit to most of the issues being self induced.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Me three .......
....... four

Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

we were sitting around talking last night and the question came up to as why HD does not address the problems with their touring bikes ? are they that greedy or just don't care ?

wheel bearings
compensators
shifting flywheels
left side engine case bearing
beathers slobbering oil
the updates for the boom systems
and many other problems

we were thinking if what a really great bike harley's would be if they fixed these issues. i wouldn't ride anything else, but it seems the newer they get the more cheap crap they are installing on them. HD if you are listening , FIX THIS **** ! or more customers may move on.

I know you read about all of those issues on the forums.
But the truth is, 99% of the HD bikes out there do not have any of those issues.
I put 48,000 miles on a 2011 Street Glide, without a single issue.
My '15 Limited only has about 20,000 miles so far, but sill not a single issue.

Not gonna say I won't have a major issue tomorrow, but I am willing to take that chance.

No matter who the manufacturer is, they will all have some of their products with issues.
And those with issues will always post about them on forums.
Those without any issues are much less likely to post about the lack of issues.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

we were sitting around talking last night and the question came up to as why HD does not address the problems with their touring bikes ? are they that greedy or just don't care ?

wheel bearings
compensators
shifting flywheels
left side engine case bearing
beathers slobbering oil
the updates for the boom systems
and many other problems

we were thinking if what a really great bike harley's would be if they fixed these issues. i wouldn't ride anything else, but it seems the newer they get the more cheap crap they are installing on them. HD if you are listening , FIX THIS **** ! or more customers may move on.
It's simple economics of a publicly held company.

Most folks don't have any problems.

HD looks at how many miles the average bike gets put on it each year. As long as the majority of riders don't experience an issue, then the majority are happy, and HD only needs to spend $ during the 1st 2 years repairing the small % that need fixing.

Usually (not always), it is the relatively small % of higher mileage riders that have more warranty claims. As long as the cost of those warranty claims is smaller than the cost of making a more expensive (better quality) bike, they are serving their shareholders.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

cwsharp (05-05-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 PM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Me five? Six? I never make the good lists

Old 04-30-2017, 03:32 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

I've never had a single issue with any Harley except used ones where they had expected maintenance issues. Now cages...a different story. Some nightmares with a few of those.

Quick Reply: why doesn't harley fix their problems ?