Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight

Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM
itznin
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight

My dealer wired up the Harley garage door opener (91558-01B) for me, I brought it home and couldn't sync it.

The headlight is the LED Custom Dynamics TruBeam.

I brought it back to Harley and the tech disconnected the actual headlight and the transmitter synced with the receiver no problem. The minute the headlight was plugged back in they no longer communicated until the headlight was unplugged again.

Anyone else have this same configuration?

I suggested to the dealer that we mount the transmitter under the seat so it is away from the headlight but they said since it's wired to the light it won't make a difference. Any thoughts on that?

They also said since the BCM is there RF frequency may cause interference. All of this makes SOME sense but why not try it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. My whole front end lighting is CD so I can't change the headlight now and I need the garage opener to work.

Thoughts?

Edit SOLVED - See my posts below for part # of Custom Dynamics part that fixes the issue

Last edited by itznin; 05-24-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Tagging this thread. Planning on a VisionX (OEM) for the TruBeam) headlight, but using an OEM garage door opener in my windshield bag. Don't anticipate problems, but curious.

I'm thinking an RF filter might be the answer, but the Custom Dynamics or the VisionX people are more likely to have the answer than the Harley dealer. CD has a great customer service department, try calling them tomorrow.

Last edited by shorelasHD; 04-30-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Perhaps one of these garage door openers would work?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM
jt metal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Very problematic at best. So many variables that could cause a delay are endless.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:41 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I know it does not solve your problem, but if you ditch the HD opener, why not try a keychain opener? I use one, with my bike key on a carabiner on a belt loop. Its worked great for me for years.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 AM
itznin
Road Captain

Thank you all for the responses.... I'll be calling CD today to speak with their customer service for advice.

Keychain opener will be my LAST resort. I already have the Harley garage opener and that would be ideal/cleanest so I am going to try everything in my power to make that work.

Keep the ideas coming - I will update today after speaking with CD.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:31 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

My dealer told me the Custom Dynamics LED head light it would interfere with radio reception.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

following this one.
I have been packing my opener in the saddle bag and slip it into my pocket once on the way home.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,208 Likes on 5,972 Posts

I can't offer much... I have the hd opener on my street glide and the truck lite led headlamp and all things Harley led driving lights.... no problems. I'd be curious what you find out as well. good luck on your search.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM
itznin
Road Captain

I just spoke to Custom Dynamics - They indicated that there is a resistor that goes in-between the H4 to H9/H11 adapter and the headlight

OR

in-between the Hi/Lo adapter whichever I choose is fine

They are shipping the adapter to me today, I will update again once I bring it back to the dealer to square away since the bike is already there.

CD is great they identified the problem immediately and had a solution (hopefully)....

EDIT - This fixed the problem, actual part number in a later post

Last edited by itznin; 05-24-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Garage opener versus Custom Dynamics LED TruBeam headlight