Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 145 Likes on 106 Posts

I changed to 888s and have no complaints. They do seem to be slightly noisier than the stock Dunlops though. Not an issue for me, but I have noticed it.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

I've had 4 brands over the last 2 years on 3 scooters ..... right now I'd vote Metzeler ME888's.

• D402 - Nice wear, ride just Ok
  • American Elites - Definitely better ride than the D402, wear is up for grabs, too new to make a comment at approx 1K miles
  • Michelin C2's - Never again, hard ride, front cupped at about 6K
  • Metzlers ME888 - Best ride of the bunch, they have the feeling of grabbing the road, wear is up for grabs at approx 1K miles

Old 07-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by harkon
I changed to 888s and have no complaints. They do seem to be slightly noisier than the stock Dunlops though. Not an issue for me, but I have noticed it.
I can't hear my tires, the exhaust is too loud.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 PM
Rick17FLH
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks to the members that recommended Avon's Cobra Tires. I used them exclusively on a different brand of bike because they not only rode better than any other brand but they also lasted far longer.
I want to ask if anyone has run through a set of cobras and would appreciate all comments on how they lasted compared with the OEM Dunlops. Also, did anyone have any complaints with noise or cupping as they aged?
Thanks very much.
Rick

Old 01-21-2018, 06:46 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTKcdn
Thanks to the members that recommended Avon's Cobra Tires. I used them exclusively on a different brand of bike because they not only rode better than any other brand but they also lasted far longer.
I want to ask if anyone has run through a set of cobras and would appreciate all comments on how they lasted compared with the OEM Dunlops. Also, did anyone have any complaints with noise or cupping as they aged?
Thanks very much.
Rick
Rick, I installed a pair of Avon Cobra's on my 2011 RK early this summer. I only have good things to say about them. They will not get you the miles of the American Elites, but for their ride, wet handling, etc I will buy them again.
A critical impact on their wear is to run the Avon Mfg suggested tire pressure which is listed on their website. The rear tire is to be run about 5 lbs more then the factory spec The front is about 4 lbs more. You will curb the rear tire cupping with the increased tire pressure and extend the tire life. They handle and "stick" well even at the increased pressures.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:58 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

2014 Ultra Limited, took of the stock Dunlop's at 12K. Could not stand that front tire. Then the A/E's, and now have the CII's, which I am going to replace with the Avon Cobra's. I ride aggressive, mainly mountain twisties. The softer compound of the Cobra (from what I have read on this forum is what I am looking for.) The trade off is, softer better grip, harder more longevity of the tire. So, after reading all the positive remarks on the Cobra's I decided on them. I figure if I burn up the rear in 10K miles then so be it. Then I checked out Avon's website, and the tires have a 15K Mileage and 15K Road Hazard warranty, which is the deal sealer for me. Gonna install some Ohlins #3-#3 from Howard this week then get a set of Cobra's. I posted the link to Avon below.

http://www.avonmoto.com/street-tires...touring/cobra/

Old 01-21-2018, 11:44 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 143 Posts

Just so you know the Avon 15K warranty is prorated just like a battery warranty, you get a percentage discount on your next purchase. I was told it was only available through a dealer so would not be valid on tires bought online. If you use a dealer for your purchase you're alright, but it's probably cheaper to just buy online as the discount online is most likely a lower price than the warranty percentage discount is off of retail. I like Cobras & have run them on the front & get good life from them, but I can't say I noticed they stuck better than the AEs. I ride very aggressively also & have never lost grip on either end with the AEs & I don't feel it's worth twice the $$ to have the Cobras on the back.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:50 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

I do feel the AEs are a much better tire than the HD Dunlops, both handling & mileage. I did try a Cobra on the front with an AE on the back with no adverse handling, but also didn't think it was better or worse than the AE front

Old 01-21-2018, 12:21 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
Just so you know the Avon 15K warranty is prorated just like a battery warranty, you get a percentage discount on your next purchase. I was told it was only available through a dealer so would not be valid on tires bought online. If you use a dealer for your purchase you're alright, but it's probably cheaper to just buy online as the discount online is most likely a lower price than the warranty percentage discount is off of retail. I like Cobras & have run them on the front & get good life from them, but I can't say I noticed they stuck better than the AEs. I ride very aggressively also & have never lost grip on either end with the AEs & I don't feel it's worth twice the $$ to have the Cobras on the back.
Any warranty is better than none, in my book. You can buy the tires anywhere you like. Just have to have them installed by somebody that has a M/C business, according to Avon's warranty information sheet (link below.) At least think so, I will call them tomorrow and re-post. Either way does not matter, I am going stick with Avon for my next set.

http://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/mil...leageregister/

Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member

As I said I like Avons & it would be the only other tire I would consider, I've heard too many conflicting stories on Metz & Mich. This is just like an oil thread, whatever a guy is running is the best, I've read some guys say Mich are great in the wet & some that said they're downright scary. Report back on how you like them & your mileage. I run a 18" on the rear which limited my choice to Dunlop until recently, HD Dunlops were good for about 13K & AE about 16 or 17K less cupping on the AEs also. I actually get more miles when running the twisties because I'm running on the sides more than just the center.

Quick Reply: Best tires?