Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Lever Won't Move After Clutch Adjustment

Old 05-02-2017, 05:35 PM
blcarizona
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Lever Won't Move After Clutch Adjustment

All,
Well, my old favorite Jimmy Buffet quote, "I'm seldom right but I've never been wrong" is failing me today. I have read every string on this topic I could find today, tried every suggestion at least a dozen times with no resolve. I'm no expert mechanic by any measure but thought I would (and could) make a simple clutch adjustment to an otherwise newly purchased perfectly running 2000 Road King. Adjusted only because I wanted the clutch to engage sooner than the 85% release point I was getting.

My problem is now the clutch lever will not move. I mean, not at all like the other end is tied to a steel pole with all the tension taken out. And there is no sign of movement in the clutch basket area.

I'm hoping someone can offer a solution or it will be "hat in hand" for me at the Harley Shop tomorrow. (I really hate to do that!) As background, here's the steps and probably mis-steps I've taken to adjust, readjust and ultimately try to solve the issue.

1. First, took tension off of clutch cable, however, the best I could do was about half depression of the lever as there was no further travel available.
2. Broke the lock nut at the clutch basket and moved the adjusting screw in and out a few times (at which point, the tension in the clutch cable totally released). Did the clockwise adjustment until pressure point and then backed off a little more than 1/2 turn and locked all down.
3. Closed the derby cover, adjusted the cable to the recommended 1/8" gap and thought I was done. This is when I pulled the lever in and no movement at all. Tried 2 and 3 above at least a dozen times with no success.
4. Also removed trans fluid plug and checked ball at end of cable. Assume all good there as I could see the cable stretching, however, nothing moved, ball or clutch lever. Maybe worth mentioning, I had to back out the cable adjustment nut almost to the end of the travel to reach the 1/8" position. This is not the way it was when I started the process in 1 above, not even close.
5. Tried running clutch adjustment screw in until tight and then a turn or so more before backing out and that didn't work either.

Realize there is some finesse to all of this, but I am getting same exact issue after every try. Again, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:59 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

If you back the adjuster all the way out will your lever move? There is a thread in the trans section on adjusting clutch. Trying to figure out if your problem is in the cable or the clutch basket. Did you pull the cover off at the other and of the cable? Something could be hung up in there

Old 05-02-2017, 06:06 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

your ball and ramps are out of alignment.

if rideable I'd look at getting into an indy for a quick fix- ramjett on cave creek in North Phx is my nearest

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Pops98
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree, I think the ball and ramps are out. Ican send a pdf to your email if needed

Old 05-02-2017, 06:13 PM
blcarizona
Novice

Big Mike,

Thanks for the note. No, when I back out the adjustment screw, it does not move the lever out. Haven't pulled the trans cover yet but I'm with you on that. I think the problem is in the clutch basket, not the cable. It's stretching when I looked into the fluid check hole so doesn't appears the cable hanging up?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:18 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Pull the transmission cover. I guarantee you the ball/coupling at that end of the cable is out of the slot it supposed to be in

Last edited by golfblues; 05-02-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Pops98
Intermediate
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this help? this is for a 2006, but i think they are very close.

Last edited by Pops98; 05-02-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:09 PM
blcarizona
Novice
Default Clutch Lever Won't Move After Clutch Adjustment

Thanks to all for your info, ideas and suggestions. Thought I would give an interim update on my progress with a couple questions.

I pulled the clutch release cover today and the ball/coupling mechanism appears to be working. See video. I did not open up the ramp assembly as looks like it is working ok?

I'm thinking the only other thing it could be is the shaft it sits on the releases the clutch is adjusted out to far. Don't understand how as I have adjusted it many times?

Here's my questions.

1. With the clutch release cover off, can I remove the derby cover and move the adjuster out to see of that is what is causing the binding when I try to pull in the clutch lever? I've attached a pic in the hope someone with experience with this can look and tell me if it is adjusted out to far and binding the ball/coupling mechanism?

2. Do you think the ***** re-set when I pulled the cover off? I can put the cover back on and find out, I guess, but want to hear what you all have to say about a clutch adjustment moving the shaft back in?

Thanks again for everyone's help. Hey, I'm learning a lot so not all bad but anxious to ride!

Old 05-03-2017, 03:29 PM
blcarizona
Novice

Here's the video and pic. Forgot to attach on last post!

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Lever Won't Move After Clutch Adjustment-img_0183.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0186.MOV (2.99 MB, 884 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Lever Won't Move After Clutch Adjustment