Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide buying tips for $10K budget

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:39 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If ya can't find a '09 up, forget streetglide and get a '00-02 carb tourer or even a softail in any year ya can afford.

The following users liked this post:
renatadoesstuff (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM
renatadoesstuff
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Klong4HD
Riding is the most favorite thing I do in my life. Nothing even compares to it. I'm glad you got the bug. Be safe and enjoy your trip.
Me too now, I can't think what I used to do for fun before! So glad I started. Better late than never! Hey your bike is a real beauty, love it!

Renata

Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM
renatadoesstuff
Advanced
Smile

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
Have you even considered buying a softail deluxe? Seems like it might be a better fit and you could probably get one of those for less money/newer model year.
Nope I didn't consider that, I thought I didn't like the look of them but you're the second person that suggested them so I've been looking and they've grown on me a lot. I'm definitely going to go check one or two out and sit on them and see the difference. I've looked and you're spot on about the less money/newer model year Thanks!

Renata

Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 AM
renatadoesstuff
Advanced
Smile

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
If ya can't find a '09 up, forget streetglide and get a '00-02 carb tourer or even a softail in any year ya can afford.
Hey thanks for that - what makes you so specific about the '00-'02? You're the third person to suggest a softail too, so I'll look at them as well. It's invaluable to get all this advice from a bunch of riders.

Renata

Old 05-17-2017, 10:49 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

'00 had the camcase problems of the '99 fixed and better crank til '03. The carb bikes are way better than MM fuel injection. If ya "need" fuel injection, '02 was the first year of the Delphi systems but they weren't really any good til '07 and I would avoid the '07-'08 bastard tourers. Softails are ok tourers and can usually be had cheaper than tourers. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
renatadoesstuff (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 AM
renatadoesstuff
Advanced

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
'00 had the camcase problems of the '99 fixed and better crank til '03. The carb bikes are way better than MM fuel injection. If ya "need" fuel injection, '02 was the first year of the Delphi systems but they weren't really any good til '07 and I would avoid the '07-'08 bastard tourers. Softails are ok tourers and can usually be had cheaper than tourers. Good luck!
Oh ok, that's all really helpful stuff, thanks for that info! Cheers

Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

'07-'08 bastard tourers
I would take this comment with a huge grain of salt, as it simply is not true. For some reason this particular user has a hard-on for the 07-08 FLHX and SE255 cams.....LOL! He jumps in on most every thread spewing non truths. Who knows....maybe someone on an early FLHX with 255 cams kicked his dog and stole his partner?

Old 05-23-2017, 07:37 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeTD3
I would take this comment with a huge grain of salt, as it simply is not true. For some reason this particular user has a hard-on for the 07-08 FLHX and SE255 cams.....LOL! He jumps in on most every thread spewing non truths. Who knows....maybe someone on an early FLHX with 255 cams kicked his dog and stole his partner?
Agree, what set them apart was the engine/trans change. At least that was the biggest thing. They were definitely transition years and like any transition year there were good and bad things.
If you're going to call them bastard years then you're pretty much going to have to call the 17 & 18 bastard years as well with the new engine and rumored new frame.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

I kind of breezed the responses (so hopefully I don't double up).

I was dead set on a soft tail till I rode my first EG (looked allot like the SG).
Personal preference, allot of folks tour on soft tails, you gotta decide that one yourself (go try some out).
As for year of bikes there is allot of opinions on that subject.
I would recommend you do a little research on the differences (pros/cons).
The Twin Cam bikes have some things you need be aware off like cam tentioners.
You need to make sure to inspect or replaced (or make it part of the deal).
When I bought my 01 Part of the deal was inspecting them (so i was good for the summer) changed them out that winter.
I would love to get my hands on a low mile EVO bagger (like the one for sale on this site).
Nothing wrong with a carb bike as long as it has been maintained.
Not sure of the exact year (think it was 09) when the frame changed, and the rear tire size.
That is more important if you are planning on running heavy (like two up riding with gear).
If its just you and normal gear it shouldn't be a big deal (allot of folks ran two up with gear for allot of years without an issue).
I upgraded from my 01 to an 09, quite a bit heavier bike to ride, not to mention parking/slow maneuvering (I am getting used to it though).
I am 5'7" and 175 +/- 34" inseam (short legs can make it tougher).
I had my seat reworked so I could flat foot it (Important IMHO).
Makes maneuvering easier, more controlled than tipy toeing it.
Can you get your hands on some different bikes to try out?

Last edited by GRWHD; 05-23-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,663 Likes on 2,675 Posts

02 Road King Classic will get you the touring suspension, forged crank, the preferred non-MM fuel injection and it would make you an all-around great bike if you can find one. I sold mine for $8k to a dealer on my trade in.

Quick Reply: Street Glide buying tips for $10K budget