Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished cams upgrade the other day

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Finished cams upgrade the other day

Finished my winter project little later than expected.

Installed Andrews 57H w/ 4 degree advance crank gear, this moved the gains from 2,200 to 5,600 rpm's down 400 rpm's to: 1,800 to 5,200 rpm's this lower rpm range suited my city & town riding w/two up, providing more needed torque at traffic lights and stop & go riding. (see no difference comparing to stock cams low end torque) something I was originally concerned about is now non-existent. (glad I went with 4 degree advance crank gear).

Also installed S&S Premium lifters w/ adjustable push rods was an added bonus. Used a good amount of assembly lube on all wearable areas little extra on new cam bearings as well.

Also installed nickel plated earth magnet sleeve into oil pickup housing just in front of oil pump. This ensures added protection guaranteeing no metallic particles will ever enter the oil pump. Inside housing was reamed from stock dia. of .723 to .750 to accept nickel plated earth magnet .751 o.d. x .500 i.d. (should be a standard) for all cam upgrades IMHO. Custom Designed Earth Magnet kit available in July, contact me.

Started up first try, little chatter from lifters for 10 seconds followed by smooth operation. Shortly after initial start (1 minute) raised rpms to 1,500 for (2 minutes) back to idle for 10 seconds to stabilize then off. Very happy with results. Checked oil level, good to go, waited until after lunch 25 minutes before restarting. Same as before except it was much smoother instantly ran it up again to 1,500 for (2 minutes) that revved it several times to 2,500 back to 1,500 for another minute. I'm very pleased.

Shake down run regular moderate shifting country riding just under 70 mph. Man she runs great. (Cobra Fi2000 CVT/AT) made all adjustments never realized what tuner has done until after 1 hour ride. Brought it back to garage and checked oil one more time after it sat 20 minutes.

Next day went on a 3 hour ride hit the yellow line on shifting 1st to 2nd & 3rd was very strong pull about 35% better over stock, buuut into 4th and 5th was way better say 45%, frankly didn't expect that much of performance. Was doing 80+ mph. Can't wait until I hit redline......

It's a shame there is nothing out there that can measure white knuckles & big a$$ smiles!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 05-25-2017 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rollbar (01-02-2023)
Old 05-23-2017, 01:17 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

nice improvement, that should be a blast to ride

Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Yes it is, believe I nailed it, (got lucky) appears to be a great combination hot street & road trip cams when adding 4 degree advance sprocket.

I'm taking it easy for next 3 tanks of fuel letting the lifters seat before I take it through the gears again.

Was told by a few it is a noisy cam, mechanically sounds the same as stock cams, except the lumpy/choppy awesome idle....

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by B Bop; 05-25-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 PM
pedalfast
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's does it feel rolling on the throttle in 6th gear at 65 or 70 mph. like when passing?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a great upgrade enjoy the ride.

I did nothing but cams in my old 88". But I have to agree the Andrews grind made a massive difference in power.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:04 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Have the same cam in my 98" S&S. I smile every time I twist the throttle.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:45 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pedalfast
How's does it feel rolling on the throttle in 6th gear at 65 or 70 mph. like when passing?
That is one of the reasons selecting 57h, when riding two-up, it pulls well in 6th without downshifting see Low Country Joes comments below:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-pictures.html

B Bop

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

The following users liked this post:
pedalfast (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Planning a half day solo road trip over Memorial Day weekend. Before 57h installed w/stage 1 got 44.2 mpg average. I'm sure with the added power hoping to see in the neighborhood of 40/42 mpg tops with the wind to my back lol!

Just added a home made custom 1.5" front spoiler to oil cooler, should funnel in more air. Will post all build photos sometime over the next few weeks.

Appreciate the comments and enjoy your related stories.

B Bop

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 05-26-2017 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Those initial seconds during that first startup provides quite the experience, I still have a slight indention on my index finger where I had my fingers crossed, and I swapped mine out two years ago.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:02 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

I know the feeling! It is definitely a stressful experience no doubt!

Buuut when she fires up, it's like hitting the lottery lol.

B Bop

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply: Finished cams upgrade the other day