Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I mount a cane holder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Default How do I mount a cane holder?

OK, so I am the proud owner of a 2017 Street Glide Special. When I went to buy, the wife said she wasn't that interested in riding that much any more, as she, as well as I, is getting up there in years. After I got the bike and added a back bar and pad for her for her "infrequent" rides, she has decided that she wants to come along more often. Sound familiar, this changing the rules in the middle of the game? Anyway, happy wife, happy life. Mama has arthritis in her left hip and uses a cane to help take some of the weight off of it. She is having a difficult time mounting the bike and wants to use her cane as a support while doing so, but then, where the hell is she supposed to put it?????

What I am looking for is ideas to mount something to hold the cane that doesn't look totally redneck......So far, the only thing I can come up with is to intstall rear bag guards and then come up with some sort of tube mounted to one of them to hold the cane after she gets on.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

Lon

Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw a guy at Sturgis with a dual scabbards on the front forks. Kind of looked like fangs type air deflectors. Had a cane in one. Didn't look half bad. He was a Veteran so maybe I cut him some slack. My buddy walks with a cane. He straps his to the luggage rack on his tourpak. His is telescopic so you don't really notice it.

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Great Idea. Would require nothing added to the bike. Just drop into a saddlebag after mounting. Thanks.....

Lon

Old 05-29-2017, 11:46 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I just use a standard folding cane from Walmart carried in my saddlebag.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a bad knee that gives me trouble from time to time. I bought a folding cane on Amazon. It's really sturdy and folds up to fit in the saddlebag easily.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:58 PM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Another idea besides the saddle bag would be one of the saddlebag guard mounted water bottle holders. I'm not sure how small a folding cane goes, but the water bottle holder would give you something useful when riding solo as well.

It wouldn't be as secure as the saddle bag...but just tossing out ideas.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:04 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Great ideas here....I hadn't thought of a folding cane.....and with the Rushmore saddle bag lids, she can fold one up and put it inside while sitting on the bike.....If that works for her needs, of course.......

Old 05-30-2017, 05:09 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,248 Likes on 812 Posts

What about mounting the bike from the other side? Especially if the bike is left on its jiffy stand and you get on after her. A little more awkward for you, but it helps her, what the heck.

A backrest with folding arms might also be helpful, as well a tallish backrest/sissybar.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:34 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

What's wrong with redneck? Do what fits your needs.
My Dad was a redneck. Once He cut His grass, and found 2 boat trailers He had forgot He had! I remember after He retired, He once told me "Son, since I retired and look around, I don't see how I ever had time to work". Well, now I say the same thing!

Quick Reply: How do I mount a cane holder?