Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toubleshooting a voltage reguilater

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 04:47 PM
dCon0ne
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toubleshooting a voltage reguilater

my battery is not charging, how do I troubleshoot the voltage regulator????

Old 06-10-2017, 04:50 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Electrical - Charging System testing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1. First and foremost load test the battery. Most places like AutoZone will do it for free. Even if it measures over 12.5 vdc it can still be bad under a load. Battery is typically rated at 19 amp hours and 270 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).

Start the engine and measure DC Volts across the battery terminals, the regulator should be putting out 14.3 - 14.7 vdc at 3600 rpm and 75 degrees F.

Step 2. To check the regulator unplug it from the stator. Take a test light and clip it to the negative terminal of the battery and then touch first one pin and then the other on the plug that goes to the regulator. If you get even the slightest amount of light from the test light the regulator is toast.

To do this with a meter: black lead to battery ground, red lead to each pin on the plug, start with the voltage scale higher than 12vdc and move voltage scale down in steps for each pin. Any voltage is a bad regulator.

Step 3. On the other part of the disconnected regulator plug. Set the multimeter for Ohms x1 scale and measure for resistance across the pins of the stator. You should read something around 0.1 to 0.2 ohms for the TC88 32 amp system.

Step 4. Then check for continuity between each pin on the plug and frame/engine ground. The meter needle should not move (infinite resistance)(digitals will show infinite resistance) if the meter needle does move (indicating continuity)(digitals will show some resistance), recheck very carefully. If the meter still shows continuity to ground the stator is shorted (bad).

Step 5. Set the meter to read A/C volts higher than 30 volts (the scale setting for voltage should always be higher than the highest voltage you expect or you may fry the meter). Start the bike, and measure from one pin to the other on the plug (DO NOT cross the multimeter probes! - touch them to each other). You should read roughly 16-20 vac per 1,000 rpm.

Step 6. If the battery was good under load test, if the stator is NOT shorted to ground, and the stator is putting out A/C voltage, then the regulator is bad (most likely even if if passed step 2).

Generally the following is true:
22 amp system produces about 19-26 vac per 1,000 rpm, stator resistance is about 0.2 to 0.4 ohms.
32 amp system produces about 16-20 vac per 1,000 rpm, stator resistance is about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms.
45 amp system produces about 19-26 vac per 1,000 rpm, stator resistance is about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms.

Battery: Turn ohmmeter to the DC Volts setting that can read 12V or more. With your motorcycle off, read from Positive to Negative making sure the Red is +, Black is -- If battery is good you should get about 12.5 to 13.5 volts

Charging: Using same multimeter range, start the motorcycle and run RPM's up to above idle. Voltage should increase to several volts above initial reading, usually to about 14.7 V Voltage should not go much higher than 14.7 V. If voltage goes a lot higher when you rev the engine, you could be overcharging due to a voltage regulator problem. If voltage doesn't change, your motorcycle is not charging.

Stator: If your motorcycle is not charging, you need to check the stator. Locate the plug for the stator on the front of the engine block. Switch the multimeter to OHMS range on the lowest setting, usually 10 ohms. With the motorcycle off, read between the 2 pins or holes in the block. These should show continuity. If your meter is accurate you could read 1 to 3 ohms, but cheaper meters will not be that accurate. As long there is continuity it passes this test.

Now change the setting on the multimeter to the highest OHM range like 100K. Touch one probe to a pin or hole in the engine, the other to the engine case or a metal bolt on the engine. The meter should not move. Try the other pin the same way and it also shouldn't move. If you get any reading the stator is shorted and must be replaced. This requires special tools and you should consider taking it to a shop. If you get no movement on the meter, it's not shorted out so you need to check for output.

To check for output, change multimeter to AC Volts setting over 100 Volts. With the alternator plug disconnected, start the bike. Use the probes (not polarity sensitive) to read between the pins or holes in the engine block. You should read about 20V per 1000 rpm's. At idle expect about 25V, as you rev the engine it will increase to 60 or 70 Volts. If it does your stator is OK, if you get no output the stator is bad and you will need to replace it or take it to a shop.

Voltage Regulator: If your stator is not shorted to ground and has the proper output, your regulator is most likely the culprit. If your stator checks out OK but battery voltage don’t increase when the motorcycle is running, the regulator isn't doing its job and needs to be replaced. It's an easy swap, just make sure you bring the old one with you to make sure they give you the correct unit. If the battery voltage goes too high when you rev the motorcycle the regulator isn't limiting the voltage and again it needs replacement.

The following users liked this post:
tjconnection (02-15-2020)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM
OzarkRidgeRunner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toubleshooting a voltage reguilater

Thanks for the great test procedure. I posted in electrical, issues I had with Lithium batteries. I did test after the failures,but this test being more comprehensive leads me to think it's the voltage regulator. I'd like to share the results, see what you think. The results are in sequence with how the test was laid out, using a Eteck multimeter....Thanks
1. Battery test: 12.69V 416CCA rated ETX20L 71*F
2. Probed pins 11.98V
3. Stator 0 on meter/beeps *my meter doesn't go as low as perscribed setting
4. Continuity I got no readings or beeps
5. output test 22.3 VAC
I ought to mention this is all new compufire 32a.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

I always prefer to trickle charge a battery good before load testing. If you load test a low battery it will fail.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:37 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If you go to the electrical section there's a sticky for stator and regulator testing.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 07:16 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts
Old 11-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Rev the motor up, battery should go to about 14.4 DC volts. Unplug stator. With meter on AC you should see about 20 volts per 1000 RPM, this varies by model, and would be better to look it up. I suppose if you get atleast 80 volts, you could guess it is good though. Do not call it good with only 30 or 40 volts.

Also DC clamp ons are good for this. Look at the polarity arrow on it. At idle most likely coming from battery, when the bike up to 3-4k rpm and polarity will flip and bike will charge battery, This is not fool proof but a tool to use.

Stator AC volts, volt reg DC volts to battery.