Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Road Glides Help

Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Jeffshd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Road Glides Help

I sold my 2014 Ultra classic Saturday and now trying to decide on the new one. I thought i had decided on the RGS but the more i look, i keep thinking maybe the RG ultra... (but after riding a RG, I'm all in on the RG)

Can someone help me with
1. The exhaust difference. (im not looking to change pipes) Looks like the Ultra is a true dual is this better? I had true duals on my ultra and seemed to sound better and be cooler

2. Water Cooler... I still am not sold on them. I never had my lowers on my Ultra because i felt like it was cooler to ride, so im not completely sold on the lowers, but if the water coolers are not having any problems and keep the bike cooler...

3. Suspension? A huge noticeable difference? I dont two up often or at all but my fat *** is about 240lbs?

The other thing i think i would want is the saddle bag guards. I know how easy it is to drop these dang things.

I wish the road glide had the classic option...

It just seems like the Ultra (for the money ) has a lot more, having a hard time ... LOL

Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

Only thing I am not fond of is with it being water cooled. Those lowers never come off. Which is fine if you never plan on removing them, but I like to at least have the option.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

The water cool system works. The Ultra has everything you will likely be trying to add, already on it. Added up the RGU is a better deal in the long run.
But I and Bias on my 4th RGU after a RG.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:46 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Get the Ultra

Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM
RoadHog2
Novice

I used to own the 2011 RGU, I now own the 2017 RGU. Huge difference in performance. The M8 water cooled engine is much cooler than the 103, you will not have any issues with the water cooled engine, at least I have not heard of any. I currently have 10,000 miles on mine since September. My riding buddy has the same bike and he has 18,000 miles on his with no issues. We have both agreed that the idle could be set slightly higher than 850, it tends to cough sometimes after start up or taking off from a stop. But pumping the throttle tends to fix that issue. I had the CFR's slip-on mufflers on my 2011, Great sound, but with the larger header on the front cylinder, I was unable to move them to the new bike. I was told this larger tube was to allow for the limp home mode when the rear cylinder reaches a high temp. On the M8 you will most likely never see high temps on the engine like on the 103. The water cooled engine helps keep the temps down and allows the M8 engine to run at peak performance level that you never saw on a 103. The suspension on the rear of the 2017 RGU is like the older touring bikes, I say older but not really that old, it is the twist adjustment like the earlier Road Glide Specials had. I ride two up on long trips and have not had any issues, they are easy to adjust. As far as the saddle bag guards, well that is whatever your purse can afford. I had them on my 2011 but have not added them to the 2017 yet! I have added the CB radio, the tour pak extender, heated grips and the heated seat off the 2011. I am very happy with my purchase last September of the 2017 M8 engine on the RGU. All of the riders I ride with and have talked with enjoy their bikes and have not had any issues with the new engine or the water system. They do say buy some grips that you can hold onto, cause when you roll it back you will need all the help you can get to hang on! Ride Safe!!!! Road Hog out......

Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 966 Likes on 554 Posts

Recently made went thru the same decision process of deciding between the FLTRX & FLTRU. They both have a lot of positives. Really cant go wrong either way.

I love the dressed up look of the special, with the painted fairing, rear fender, etc... Cant get any of that on the Ultra without spending a lot more. Adding the extra touring features of the Ultra to the road glide special is a lot more as well. I like the lower suspension on the special, but with less suspension travel its a trade off. The exhaust is exactely the same. I actually chose the twin / water cooled cooled for various reasons and am happy I did. Riding in 95 deg weather yesterday and was completely comfortable, even in town.
Let is know what you end up with. Good luck

Last edited by MTBIG G; 06-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Jeffshd
6th Gear
Default Deciding

I spent a little time at another dealership today. Actually the guy ran me off for being so pushy. Oh well wasn't planning on buying at that one anyways...

it's a big decision! I love the way the back of the special looks for sure but there is just something special about a full dresser plus I'm leaning towards an ultra color. Idk! I rode the S Saturday and love the weight of the bike and the way it handles (coming off a batwing .... wow what a difference). I plan on riding the ultra in the next day of two. IF, it handles like the S, I will probably lean toward the ultra. Ugh. Lol. Why are they so different but still the same? Haha

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffshd

Can someone help me with
1. The exhaust difference. (im not looking to change pipes) Looks like the Ultra is a true dual is this better? I had true duals on my ultra and seemed to sound better and be cooler

2. Water Cooler... I still am not sold on them. I never had my lowers on my Ultra because i felt like it was cooler to ride, so im not completely sold on the lowers, but if the water coolers are not having any problems and keep the bike cooler...

3. Suspension? A huge noticeable difference? I dont two up often or at all but my fat *** is about 240lbs?

The other thing i think i would want is the saddle bag guards. I know how easy it is to drop these dang things.
exhaust is the same. no difference. won't you want to be changing those anyway?

no experience with the water cooled. couple of friends have it and have had no problems. lowers may increase your felt temperature, but that's because they're shedding heat away from your engine.

there is a big difference in suspension. the 12'' on the special/custom is going to ride much harsher than the 13'' that you'll get on the ultra.

bag guards can be a lifesaver, though i've had 5 baggers and have never owned one with.

you can always go with the ultra and add quick detach stuff and take the tourpack off, course that's a very expensive deal nowadays with the signals being incorporated into the tourpack. or you could go with the special and add tourpack and lowers, though that is expensive as well. but the upshot is, you are not limited to how the bike came from the factory. add what you want, take off what you want. it's all part of 'making it yours'

Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Check this guy out, he took a RGS and made it RGU ..

Facebook Post

Old 06-20-2017, 05:57 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Facebook Post

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Road Glides Help