Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadglide Conversion - 2015+ fairing on 2009 SG???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Hades02
I know that the electrical is different. I planned on using the 2009 gauges and going with the double DIN Sony radio. Similar to the 6.5 head unit. My main concern was the inner and outer bolting to the frame which in theory should just bolt up with Rushmore brackets since the frames are the same.
Give it a go and keep us updated. I remember reading...there was a guy here on the forum a couple of years ago with an older batwing that wanted to swap out his fairing for the new updated Rushmore one with the vent and sound system/nav. He took a lot of crap here and was told it couldn't be done. He didn't let it deter him and went ahead and did the conversion. As I recall, the biggest issue (that he was aware of, as you are) was the electrical/gauges. And being fork mounted he had to overcome the difference in fork sizes well. Looks like you've done the research and the Road Glide should bolt up fine. I did a quick search but but couldn't find the thread. As others have said, with enough $$, just about anything is possible. Good Luck!

Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Tagged for interest! I say go for it!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Hades02
Tourer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
Give it a go and keep us updated. I remember reading...there was a guy here on the forum a couple of years ago with an older batwing that wanted to swap out his fairing for the new updated Rushmore one with the vent and sound system/nav. He took a lot of crap here and was told it couldn't be done. He didn't let it deter him and went ahead and did the conversion. As I recall, the biggest issue (that he was aware of, as you are) was the electrical/gauges. And being fork mounted he had to overcome the difference in fork sizes well. Looks like you've done the research and the Road Glide should bolt up fine. I did a quick search but but couldn't find the thread. As others have said, with enough $$, just about anything is possible. Good Luck!
Thanks Left33. I am working on it. Figured I'd shoot a note asking for advice from guys that have done it or attempted it. With all the parts I'll be into this for $1500. Considering I got the bike for 12k with 8k miles on it back in 2015, I'm still in the money compared to buying a used Rushmore RG. I do all of the work myself and paint myself.

It's like when I asked "Can you put a Breakout Softail wheel on a 2009 Streetglide?" Lots of "Can't be done, Will be lots of money, You'll have to do a lot of work to make it fit." Guess what? Bolted right on with no mods.

The following users liked this post:
dudz77 (10-28-2019)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:59 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
think you're off on your dates. my 2010, 2012, and 2013 do not have the canbus system. i do know that they introduced the canbus earlier on softails, though not sure what year that was.

plus 1. i have a 10 and a 12 and no can bus.

can bus was rushmore, which is 14 up

Old 09-14-2017, 07:55 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Thanks Beary but I have made this bike what I like especially the color (not available on Rushmores). Even with the money spent on the conversion, I'm still ahead. I also keep my toys forever. I still have a 2005 bike that I bought in 2004 brand new and modded the hell out of it. My intention is never to keep the value up as I don't intend to sell or trade. Never understood that mentality. It's like guys that don't ride to keep the mileage down so that the bike doesn't lose value. That's like not f...ing your woman so that the p@ssy stays fresh and new for the next guy.
That........ is some funny sh*t right there........ ride it Beary, wtf?

Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

It's like when I asked "Can you put a Breakout Softail wheel on a 2009 Streetglide?" Lots of "Can't be done, Will be lots of money, You'll have to do a lot of work to make it fit." Guess what? Bolted right on with no mods.

what about the brake rotors? did they line up properly?

how about an update on this project? would like to see how you're coming (came out)....

Old 02-01-2018, 03:16 PM
capell2010
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever complete this swap?? i am really thinking about doing it as well. i am also planning on using an american suspension bolt on neck kit for a 26" wheel and i talked to them and the fairing mount for their kit that fits a 2015+ RG will work with the neck kit for the 13' and down. so really the only major obstacle will be the speedo/tach i am planning on trying to figure a way to make the older gauges i have work because the newer style will be completely different

Old 02-01-2018, 03:51 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by capell2010
Did you ever complete this swap?? i am really thinking about doing it as well. i am also planning on using an american suspension bolt on neck kit for a 26" wheel and i talked to them and the fairing mount for their kit that fits a 2015+ RG will work with the neck kit for the 13' and down. so really the only major obstacle will be the speedo/tach i am planning on trying to figure a way to make the older gauges i have work because the newer style will be completely different
Since the Road Glide's have their speedo/tach mounted to the bars, not the fairing... conceivably, couldn't you just use 2013 guages for speedo and tach? Or 2009? Or whatever year you have?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 PM
capell2010
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the route i am think going to try first, my only concern is to my understanding the fairing on 15'+ sits closer to the tank so i am afraid the 13 and down nacelle will stick out to far and come into contact with the fairing.... i will probably make a trip to the harley shop near by and see if they will let me compare the two together lol

Old 02-02-2018, 09:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Don't ya just hate it when things work out like that?! Well done. Squeezed a Deuce rear wheel in my 1990 Glide.....

Quick Reply: Roadglide Conversion - 2015+ fairing on 2009 SG???