Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Change w/ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

From what the dealer told me, the digitech just activates the ABS the same as if you hit the brakes on a slippery surface. I change my fluid, then go out and brake to the point of ABS activation several times, then rebleed the brakes. My bikes a 2010 and I've had no issues and my ABS is working as it should....And to those naysayers about causing the ABS to pulse, it doesn't take a dangerous stop or crazy braking....

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

You can buy one of these...

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan2.html

Then service a few friend's brakes and make your money back in a short time.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by rock2r
HD seems to push the point of using a "Digital Tech II" when changing DOT fluid on a bike with ABS. They state in their recent mailer that it "is critical to ensure a thorough fluid flush"...
I have changed brake fluid myself on most of my cars and trucks over the years. Have not tackled the bike yet. My service manual (Touring) does not cover brake fluid changing, only bleeding-which changing fluid basically is. The manual does not specifically address ABS-at least not where I could find it.
For those in the know, with ABS, is this still a fairly simple "do it yourself" project without having the fancy HD tool?
Bike is a 2013 FLHTK.
The 14 -17 and perhaps prior service manuals do cover replace fluid under the Brakes section. The manuals clearly state the use of a vacuum bleeder will replace the fluid without introducing air into the system. If air is introduced, then refer to bleeding brakes section where Digital tech is required for ABS models.

The vacuum bleeder does make this job painless and is a good investment if you do your own maintenance.

Dave61 (02-09-2020)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
You can buy one of these...

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan2.html

Then service a few friend's brakes and make your money back in a short time.
...and you know and I know that neither one of us is gonna charge our friends to help 'em! But the tool is nice if ya just gotta have one!!!

Old 06-20-2017, 01:12 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I use a cheap turkey baster to remove old fluid from both reservoirs, fill with new fluid, pull new fluid thru front and back with my mity vac, top off each, and ride. I think if this is done every 2 years or so, the ABS should receive benefit as well IMHO.
If you feel you are not comfortable with the above on your bike, by all means go to the dealer and let them do it for you, as well as any other services. Personally, I feel good with it.
I also believe there are deeper issues here that the MoCo is hiding behind these "Brake Flushes". How many of you flush your vehicle brake systems every 2 years, or have suffered major failure because you didn't?
Since I bought my Mity Vac a few years ago, and with the ease that it makes one person brake flushing, I now do all my vehicles every few years. I recently flushed the system on a small 15 year old car bought for a niece that obviously had never been flushed. The old fluid looked like burned coffee! Ugh!

Old 06-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
...and you know and I know that neither one of us is gonna charge our friends to help 'em! But the tool is nice if ya just gotta have one!!!
BUSTED!! Hahaha!!
Maybe I can get my 5 best riding buddies to spilt the cost with me. I'm a tool junky in addition to a motorcycle fanatic. I'll share custody with them if necessary, but since I'm the guy that works on all of their stuff I'll be the custodial guardian. They can have weekend visitation rights.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

For the $100, I'm going to cross my fingers and have the dealer do it.... and then wonder if it was done correctly or at all. Yuck!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Brake fluid analyzer tool is very handy and you will feel the difference between contaminated and fresh brake fluid right away.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Markusm
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

called Brians HD Langhorn PA
service department quoted a price of $160.
a bit steep i think.
U Tube has a video, easy peezy
just don't let the fluid run to low in
reservoir.

Dave61 (02-09-2020)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PPearl
I don't believe this is a DIY, unless you happen to own a digitech

I just had my bike done, an 09 SG, and it was $100.
Exactly

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Change w/ABS