Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information

Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by gipper
I agree with you, Gordon...it's not worth 100 threads. That being said, the vast majority have not owned Harley's since the 70's. Grab a pint and be chill!
I had to dive into an ice bath......

Old 06-27-2017, 02:47 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
No its not! I've owned new Harleys since the 1970s and every FSM carries the same advice. It is actually a century ago this year that Lockheed gave his name to the hydraulic systems we all know and love. Man has been changing the fluid every couple of years ever since. This is nothing new.....
A vast majority of the time, your posts are informative and educational. However, I think you're letting your emotions take over your reasoning with this one.

Yes, hydraulic brake systems have been around a long time, but ABS brake systems are comparatively new, especially on motorcycles. The NHSTA is investigating ABS brake system failures, which may or may not be related to owners not changing their brake fluid at the recommended intervals. I don't think you or anyone on these forums knows exactly what caused the failures, so giving history lessons and suggesting ABS brake failures are solely caused by not changing the brake fluid seems like a bit of an over exaggeration to me.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

There is nothing new about changing brake fluid every two years. And ABS has been around on bikes for over thirty years, cars even longer. It should be second nature, that's all.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I had to dive into an ice bath......
Be careful...Mrs. Brown may not like the result when you climb out!

Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts
Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Python357
Road Warrior
Received 1,582 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Is your bike abs? If so, the letter is probably a cya for older equipped abs bikes. My bikes 6 years old and I reported to the NHTSA 2 years ago so not certain of HD's motivation and who received the letter. You receiving a letter, and if no abs problem, tells the story..."
Yes it has ABS, I have not reported any (or had any) issues to the NHTSA.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Python357
Yes it has ABS, I have not reported any (or had any) issues to the NHTSA.
I never reported anything and got the letter. As I said in another thread on this subject, the recommended maintenance schedule that I got with both my 2008 Sportster and my 2011 RKC both said to change the fluid every two years (which I have done).

I agree with the other posters. This is nothing new.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Be careful...Mrs. Brown may not like the result when you climb out!
After the ice bath, there will probably be nothing for Mrs. Brown to observe when He climbs out!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

question then, do you all change your brake fluid in your cars every two years??? there dot 4 too....just saying. Not that i wont be changing mine when it needs pads, ill bleed it out but to go out every 2 years not gonna happen.

Batman

Old 06-28-2017, 04:42 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This is nothing new.....
What IS new is that Harley has provided it's customers with a "safety feature" called ABS that does what no other vehicle manufacturer's ABS does. When it fails, it renders one of the only two brakes on the vehicle inoperative. If you're tired of hearing about it then don't click on it.

I have the aforementioned ABS and have not had a failure but that's because I know what many who have been working on vehicles for years know. Many who come to ride Harleys these days know nothing more than where to put the gasoline in. So for these people (who come here daily as evidenced by the New Member posts) these multiple threads might serve as a warning to someone who bought an ABS bike second hand and would otherwise never know their life might be in jeopardy. Now if that isn't what you would call "worthwhile" I can't think of what is. Lord knows you're a walking billboard for service manuals and an unnamed suspension brand and purveyor and nobody busts your *****.

Lighten up man, everybody doesn't know what you think you know.

The following 4 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
blkrkg11 (11-25-2017), GalvTexGuy (06-28-2017), KumaRide (06-28-2017), lp (06-28-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information