Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:10 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...y-service.html

Now, everyone can say they received the letter. Make it into a poster, frame it and hang it in your garage!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...y-service.html

Now, everyone can say they received the letter. Make it into a poster, frame it and hang it in your garage!
Some info is the same, but nothing like the letter I received. The mailed letter specifically mentions ABS. The first paragraph sates "Our records indicate that Antilock Braking System (ABS) on the motorcycle listed above was built with DOT 4 brake fluid."

Given the responses in this thread, its appears only abs equipped bikes were sent a letter about Brake Fluid Maintenance. I say, this letter is a futile and very late attempt at a cya and the NHTSA investigation. Or, maybe this is the outcome of the investigation?

Also, the supplier of the abs system is BWI. Beijing West Industries. I called and left a message at the US, Ohio location. Hopefully they are responsive and return the call. I specifically want to know about the design, or lack of, for a fail safe circuit when one of the plungers locks up and prohibits brake fluid flowing to a caliper. And, if their was ever a change or revision to the abs hcu. Only one hd part number is listed and can be ordered, no revisions.

http://www.bwigroup.com/product/two-wheel-abs/

Rushmores are advertised as having Bosch.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I bought my 2011 FLHX used on February 11th and my wife received the letter. We are both on the title but the letter was addressed only to her.

​​​​​​​Reckon the MoCo figgered she'd take it pretty seriously. Ironically, it came a few days before I had that weekend chore scheduled!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Veekness
I bought my 2011 FLHX used on February 11th and my wife received the letter. We are both on the title but the letter was addressed only to her.

​​​​​​​Reckon the MoCo figgered she'd take it pretty seriously. Ironically, it came a few days before I had that weekend chore scheduled!
Bought my bike used and out of state. Paid a hd dealership to look at the bike before purchase and they said said the bike is good to go. Six weeks later when the bike was delivered and removed from the transport truck, the front brake lever was frozen, locked up, no front brakes. Somewhere in that six weeks during delivery the abs went bad.

Good idea to get it serviced or check service records to verify last service.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM
wibiker
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2009 FLHTC with ABS brakes that I purchased new. Never received a letter from anyone about brake fluid change. ABS failed May, 2017 with frozen rear peddle. Bike has 40,000 miles.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

No ABS bike here, and of course no letter either, but I have experienced 2 instances of the front master cylinder failing and drawing air due to corrosion in the cylinder from deteriorated and contaminated DOT 4 fluid. And this was after always doing the 2 year fluid flush. I now do it yearly, both front and rear. Although the front is where the problem has been.

I don't know why Harley's have so much brake fluid problem and cars and trucks do not. Its possible cars have a sealed system and we do not, but I don't know that for sure. I put in Speed Bleeders to make the job simple and painless. I would recommend that to everyone.

http://speedbleeder.com/

Old 09-20-2017, 01:18 PM
wibiker
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering if any effort been made to analyze the failed ABS units for cause of failure. Mechanical or electrical issue causing a hydraulic lock between the lever and cylinder. If mechanical, was it caused by bad brake fluid???

Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wibiker
I have a 2009 FLHTC with ABS brakes that I purchased new. Never received a letter from anyone about brake fluid change. ABS failed May, 2017 with frozen rear peddle. Bike has 40,000 miles.
Please report to NHTSA.

Just wondering if any effort been made to analyze the failed ABS units for cause of failure. Mechanical or electrical issue causing a hydraulic lock between the lever and cylinder. If mechanical, was it caused by bad brake fluid???
Thats a question for MoCo. No doubt they have looked into it. Given the letters recently mailed to thousands of abs owners of bikes that are up to 9 years old, HD's position is the hcu fails due to fluid not serviced every two years. And thats all fine, although not typical of other abs systems. The issue I have is HD advertises a fail safe abs system that will resume to normal, non-abs, braking when the abs fails. That statement and advertisement is proven to be 100% false.

Last edited by KumaRide; 09-20-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
No ABS bike here, and of course no letter either, but I have experienced 2 instances of the front master cylinder failing and drawing air due to corrosion in the cylinder from deteriorated and contaminated DOT 4 fluid. And this was after always doing the 2 year fluid flush. I now do it yearly, both front and rear. Although the front is where the problem has been.

I don't know why Harley's have so much brake fluid problem and cars and trucks do not. Its possible cars have a sealed system and we do not, but I don't know that for sure. I put in Speed Bleeders to make the job simple and painless. I would recommend that to everyone.

http://speedbleeder.com/
Cars and trucks do not have any more of a sealed system than do our bikes.

The following users liked this post:
Dave61 (02-09-2020)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

After a little digging, I found this.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/downlo...42017-1234.pdf

You will notice that the Preliminary Evaluation (PE) for the ABS defect began on 06-July-2016. According to this document, this issue should have been resolved already.

Initial phase of a NHTSA investigation, a PE is prompted after a review of consumer complaints and/or manufacturer service bulletins suggest a safety defect may exist. The results of a PE determine whether the investigation will be upgraded to an Engineering Analysis or closed. Most PEs are resolved within four months.
It's been almost 15 months.

Edit - Added ODI Resume document

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 09-20-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Added document

Quick Reply: Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information