Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:51 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information

Received a letter a week ago from HD about changing DOT 4 brake fluid with ABS every two years and how "DOT 4 brake fluid absorbs water over time". Of course HD did not specifically mention that with an abs hcu failure you lose your front and/or rear brakes completely. It does state that not changing fluid every two years "may lead to a loss of brake function".

The first sentence of the letter is interesting:

"The memories last forever. The brake fluid, not so much".

Curious if others have received this letter? Was their another, non-abs, letter mailed out? Or, was the letter mailed only to those, like myself, that have reported to the NHTSA brake loss due to abs hcu failure?

Their are a couple of brake fluid change threads alive currently. I strongly encourage anyone with an abs equipped bike from 2008-2013 to change fluid every two years. And to either use a Digitech or hard braking to exercise front AND rear abs hcu solenoids.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Oh good Lord, another one...

The following 2 users liked this post by ORradtech:
Sturgis67 (06-27-2017), Uncle Larry (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 01:05 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Received a letter a week ago from HD about changing DOT 4 brake fluid with ABS every two years and how "DOT 4 brake fluid absorbs water over time". Of course HD did not specifically mention that with an abs hcu failure you lose your front and/or rear brakes completely. It does state that not changing fluid every two years "may lead to a loss of brake function".

The first sentence of the letter is interesting:

"The memories last forever. The brake fluid, not so much".

Curious if others have received this letter? Was their another, non-abs, letter mailed out? Or, was the letter mailed only to those, like myself, that have reported to the NHTSA brake loss due to abs hcu failure?

Their are a couple of brake fluid change threads alive currently. I strongly encourage anyone with an abs equipped bike from 2008-2013 to change fluid every two years. And to either use a Digitech or hard braking to exercise front AND rear abs hcu solenoids.

Duly noted. Thank you.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM
ethal68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what changed after 2013? they don't have to change the fluid?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
will be more im sure.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:14 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ORradtech
What exactly do you mean? Are you disputing that with an abs hcu failure riders lose their front or rear brake completely?

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...-for-all-of-us

http://fortune.com/2016/07/08/harley...investigation/

Originally Posted by ethal68
so what changed after 2013? they don't have to change the fluid?
They should and it is recommended. But, the abs hcu module is different on Rushmores and I believe is made by Bosch.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
will be more im sure.
Yup....and it's okay.

I have to confess....I had been meaning to flush mine since the onset of spring, and kept putting it off, AND forgot altogether. I hate working with brake fluid because I'm a klutz, but I fully intended on doing it as it had been two years. That letter was my reminder and impetus for grabbing a beer last week and getting it done, so it served its purpose!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:19 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sam2010
will be more im sure.
Have their been other threads about an HD letter specific to ABS, DOT 4 and maintenance?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:25 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Have their been other threads about an HD letter specific to ABS, DOT 4 and maintenance?
A couple. I posted this in one of them.

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I know there have been instances where H-D ABS systems have failed and that the NHTSA is looking into it. Of course, Harley claims the failures are a result of owners ignoring the brake fluid maintenance schedule, but I suspect the ABS modules are failing because of inferior components and not because of moisture contamination of the brake fluid. Now, they're sending notices to owners in an attempt to cover their butts. It's been almost a year and to my knowdge the NHTSA hasn't released their findings. What's taking so long? Are there back-room shenanigans going on and deals being made? Probably so because Harley doesn't want to recall 430,000 bikes.
No one responded. Do you have a take?

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 06-27-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
A couple. I posted this in one of them.

Never saw a letter thread. Apologies if a repeat. Was the letter sent only to those that reported to NHTSA? All abs equipped bikes? Certain years?

I reported the failure with locked up front brake to NHTSA almost two years ago. This is the first and only letter I received. I bought the bike used , not from a dealer but the letter has my VIN on it. NHTSA has my VIN so was thinking this letter is NHTSA related.

Quick Reply: Letter from HD - Important Brake Maintenance Information