Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were the first upgrades you performed on your touring model?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 PM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

My first mods were
1. Replaced entire exhaust system with Basani DNT true duals
2. New air cleaner
3. New engine mapping
4. New Legend shocks
5. Hog tunes amp and speakers

Since then, a 21” RSD front wheel and rotors, 14” bars, mirrors, Klock Werks and LRS wind shields.

On the list - 110 engine upgrade, extended saddle bags, Klock Werks front fender and custom paint scheme.

Should be done in about 2yrs. LOL

Last edited by atl fahrer; 02-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 PM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Few little cosmetic mods within first months of buying bone stock low mileage. I didnt want to much until I racked up miles and got feel of bike. First major mod I did was get rid of the stock bars that would give me shoulder and back pain on anything over an hour. Went with 10" yaffe's and painted inner fairing. Still to this day is my favorite and most comfortable mod

Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,240 Likes on 808 Posts

Chuckle, there's first upgrade, there's necessary upgrade, and there's best upgrade. Or upgrades, which you can't settle on just one as being best.

My first upgrade was reinstalling stock mufflers to shut the bike up. It was used when I bought it, and had V&H straight pipes. A wee bit obnoxiously loud. Ok, horribly obnoxiously loud.

A necessary and rather expensive upgrade was a reverse gear. I'm short legged, ride adventurously, and as such getting stuck trying to pull that bike backwards was proving to be quite a problem. A mechanical reverse was wonderfulness. Though the gear ratio of this reverse is awful, that was a mistake, though I didn't know it until after I installed it.

Best upgrade, I'd say fork and shock oil changes. Though switching to cast wheels would be a tight second. The oil changes and tuning got the suspension to finally settle down and stop bottoming out and trying to flip me off the seat. Though dumping the spoke wheels and going cast wasn't a subtle change, the bike became far more stable and consistent in turns with the cast wheels. Eh, I'll give the edge to the oil changes in the shocks and forks.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
caddman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It wasn't my first upgrade, but the Terry Cable shocks have been the best upgrade I have made to my Limited.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM
TN_Biker
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Mods so far

Comfort:
HD Comfort-Stitch seat

Performance/Must have:
V&H Naked air cleaner
V&H True Dual Dresser pipes
S&S gear cam kit - was trying to be proactive, but my cam tensioners were on the brink of falling apart, so I did them just in time!

More to come soon!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:03 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

After all the spoke problems I've had with two different bikes, My first mod was wheels I replaced the spoked wheels with the HD Thunderstar wheels. my next mod was the shifter rod I wanted the heim joints and that was before it ever left the dealership. The first mod after I got my bike home was throw the windshield and heel shifter off. Then after that i really went crazy with mods.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:22 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Stage 1, more rear lights, backrest, and new windshield.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Modo
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I need to find some forwards, I hate the boards lol. And other random stuff. Compensator, etc.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

crash bar gaiters,high way pegs,windshield bag,hand gaurds,gps and cup holder on uni ball hand control mounts,

Old 02-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Raven510
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air ride suspension on her. Was a must for me because I’m 5 foot 3 lol but I love it !!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What were the first upgrades you performed on your touring model?