Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were the first upgrades you performed on your touring model?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave
This was THE first item on my short list. I'm sure the heel shifter has it's merits, but it is just awkward and in the way for me. Maybe, someday, I'll be willing to give it a fair shake. But, for now, it just feels unnatural.
Mine's just great - keeps my foot on the footboard! I don't use it to change gear, it's no good for that.....

The following users liked this post:
Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Uncle Dave, I know most of my list was aesthetic, but I will say the Long Ride Shield was a major change. It shoots the stream of air over my head rather than hitting me in the eyeballs like it did with the stock shield.

For suspension, the Ricor Intiminators were a real eye opener. No diving front end and you feel much more planted (rear suspension is next for me). Check DK Customs for the Ricor's.

Stock bars had to go! They killed my wrists and shoulders.

Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Uncle_Dave
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
Dave, can we clarify something - are we spending YOUR money for ya?! If so......
Absolutely. Consider yourselves one step away from being giving my credit card info.

In all seriousness, my closest friend owns a custom bike shop up near Madison, WI. Any parts I need are procured at his cost, which saves me a ton. He also has to rein me in at times...given the drool inducing potential of a HD parts catalog. But, I digress.....

Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Uncle_Dave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Uncle Dave, I know most of my list was aesthetic, but I will say the Long Ride Shield was a major change. It shoots the stream of air over my head rather than hitting me in the eyeballs like it did with the stock shield.

For suspension, the Ricor Intiminators were a real eye opener. No diving front end and you feel much more planted (rear suspension is next for me). Check DK Customs for the Ricor's.

Stock bars had to go! They killed my wrists and shoulders.
I've been eyeballing different vendors of those types of windshields...I like how the sculpting directs the airflow up and around. I noticed the height of my windshield would cause the wind to bounce my glasses up and down between my nose and the underside of my hat's brim. Just as bad as a shaky mirror.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts

With me being taller than the average Joe, it was comfort first. I done taller bars, seat, highway pegs, new windshield and floorboard extensions. Also threw in a backrest and Im ready to ride to the damn moon now. When I was 20 mods would have consisted of what "looked cool" first. Im 35 now and comfort seems to be trumping all. Damn I guess that means Im getting old. I did have the dealer install a stage one before I picked the bike up but that was part of the deal I made. I will not touch the bike performance wise at all until I lose the warranty. Next thing I will approach is probably lighting. Being seen is never a bad idea.

Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

...... unlike others who've posted before me, listing their carefully considered & i'm certain well researched mods for comfort, performance & sound, I was completely shallow when approaching the 'make it mine' thing
...... my initial adds were chrome windshield trim, HD logo'd front fender medallion and color matched lowers.
..... never regretted any one of'm for a second.
......... the rest of the stuff i've changed out came as a result of riding & figuring what would make my ride more enjoyable. ...... ps: it was a lot !

Last edited by groupw; 07-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

Adjustable back rest, hiway pegs, S&S Stealth Air cleaner, decatted head pipe and slip on exhaust. I later installed 255 cams and had the local dealer do a download for the ECM. Rekluse auto clutch.

Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Uncle_Dave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
With me being taller than the average Joe, it was comfort first. I done taller bars, seat, highway pegs, new windshield and floorboard extensions. Also threw in a backrest and Im ready to ride to the damn moon now. When I was 20 mods would have consisted of what "looked cool" first. Im 35 now and comfort seems to be trumping all. Damn I guess that means Im getting old. I did have the dealer install a stage one before I picked the bike up but that was part of the deal I made. I will not touch the bike performance wise at all until I lose the warranty. Next thing I will approach is probably lighting. Being seen is never a bad idea.
Hell, I am all about the comfort as well. I'm 42 now, and my softttail framed, no windshield, 18" ape hanger having bike was getting the crap kicked out of me at 80-90mph on the interstates. Thus the purchase of the bagger. I'm 6'1"...i felt like a dragstrip parachute with that old bike at speed.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave
This was THE first item on my short list. I'm sure the heel shifter has it's merits, but it is just awkward and in the way for me. Maybe, someday, I'll be willing to give it a fair shake. But, for now, it just feels unnatural.
For me, it was also a safety issue. It's my opinion, proven to me many times, that what you do on a regular basis, or in a practice situation, becomes what you intuitively do in an emergency situation. Hence, if I'm accustomed to shifting with a toe shifter only, it becomes what I do automatically when the time comes...no choices, no taking time to make a choice. Others will say that naw, if you're used to upshifting with a heel shifter, that's what you'll do when the time comes. Good for them. Doesn't work thataway for me!

And, yessir, I agree, it IS awkward and in my way for certain! One of the great things about footboards is all the room you have on 'em, and the ability to shift your feet around. Heel shifter still takes some space, and I don't have a problem with my feet falling off the board!

So. Bye-bye. Almost...but not quite...the first thing I do!

Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 11:48 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I bought someone's year old, low mileage "garage queen" so it already had rider backrest, sissybar and passenger backrest and highway pegs when I got it. All of those are must haves for me. The immediate changes I made on top of those were, in this order:

1. Tallboy seat (my legs are too damned long)
2. Luggage rack (for touring)
3. LED run, stop, turn lights (for safety and visibility from the rear--always an immediate upgrade for me)

A few months later, after my first tour on this bike:

4. Heritage style handlebars (I understand the MoCo has now addressed the problem with the old stock bars)
4A. Get-A-Grip magnum grips (I have big hands too)

Then, 6 months to a year later, I decided on pipes and stage 1 air cleaner and got the ECM flashed.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 07-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Uncle_Dave (07-06-2017)

Quick Reply: What were the first upgrades you performed on your touring model?