Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found the perfect combo of things for riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Found the perfect combo of things for riding in the rain

First off, I prefer to ride in nice dry sunny weather, but sometimes that just does not work out.

On my recent trip, I decided to buy a new old style 3/4 helmet HJC) with a Bell bubble shield. I also bought the Hustin waterproof harness boots, and a hi viz rain suit.

I got stuck riding in some crazy rains, and my shield stayed clear, no fog up from my breath, and no eye glasses fog. No rain drops on my glasses or the interior of the bubble. WOW!!! I could actually see running down the road.

And let me tell you that the hi viz suit is sooo breathable, you can feel air but no water. This thing is GREAT! Kept me cool and dry!

Last, the Hustin Boots are as waterproof as you can get.

I kept cool, dry and was able to see. . . . . This was the best rain riding experience I have ever had.

Just thought I'd share some good products that work well for me.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-07-2017 at 10:22 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by steelerdude1:
00FattyT (07-08-2017), ebucky (07-09-2017), GalvTexGuy (07-08-2017), Peter Griffin (07-08-2017), trunomad (07-08-2017), wbir (10-18-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:28 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

What brand was the high viz rain suit?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

When i travel out of town i also carry what i call my rain helmet,3/4 with flip up shield.I wear perscription glasses and when rain gets on the inside of them,it throws me off to the point i can't focus on the task at hand.This gets dangerous in heavy rain.HY-VIS rain gear is the smart move.Cagers can't see a motorcycle on a bright sunny day let alone on a dark rainy one.After dark in the rain,your crazy not to wear something in HY-VIS.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

From time to time Rain happens, now you have the right combination to ride for you.
Some of us get wet in the Summer rain, and it's a welcome relief from the desert heat.

Ride Safe

John

Old 07-08-2017, 08:51 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't know how it would work with prescription glasses but I bought a new full face (HJC IS MAX 2) with the pinlock ready shield. I had never heard of Pinlock so I did some reading right before a recent 3k mile trip to the north east. Looked like I was going catch some rain so I ordered the clear Pinlock insert. I thought no way this will work as good as they say but hey for $20 its worth a shot. Man let me tell you, this thing is amazing! Rode 2 days in the rain without ever fogging up. I did get some condensation (water droplets not fog) down around my mouth area from time to time in slow traffic but it never effected my vision. Like you said it was the best experience I every had riding in the rain. I will never buy another shield that does not have the pin locks on it.

Last edited by rockhousebadboy; 07-08-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Have had the Hi Viz gear for years and great. That is when I have it with me which is only on long trips. And then you (me) have to the sense to put it on before getting wet. Also have an HJC helmet, IS 33 I think and has been my go to helmet since I got it. Great at keeping the rain out but the only time I ever have the clear shield down is when it is raining, otherwise it is just the sun visor.

Thanks for sharing as stuff like this is what can make for more pleasurable or at least more tolerable rides for any that do not have the experience with these setups. If a person only rode with a clear forecast they would not get much riding in. Chance of rain today but I am heading out shortly. Too warm to worry about rain gear but at least I will be able to see.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Add to your arsenal a product called Visor Proof by Nikwax and the rain just beads off the shield.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 07-08-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:34 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
What brand was the high viz rain suit?
Its the HD Hi Viz

Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

A recent add to the rain kit was the aerostitch lobster claws. They are like a gortex jacket for whatever gloves you have on. They fit nicely over my HD heated gloves.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-t...it-covers.html

Old 07-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Its the HD Hi Viz
HD has couple different Hi Vis rain gear can you find what item number do you have I would like to have the one breathes.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:41 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Many shielded helmets (including the pair that I bought from HD) don't have a good seal between the shield and the helmet... and even if they do when new, it doesn't last.

Wish there were pinlock lenses for 3/4 helmets or even 5/8 helmets.

Quick Reply: Found the perfect combo of things for riding in the rain