Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my clutch today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 04:27 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lost my clutch today.

42K on the bike and the clutch is toast. I don't ride the clutch and I don't beat on the bike. I baby it like it's my own kid. Hell, better. Send like it gets a bath more often sometimes. LOL. Anyway, seems a little low on mileage to have a clutch go. Maybe just bad luck. Anyway, what else should I insist be done since my Indy will be tearing in to it. Again, the bike has 42K and I'll be keeping it for a long time because I LOVE it!! Thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,435 Likes on 1,690 Posts

I smoked a stock clutch with half that mileage and less torque than you report you have. At the very minimum you will need a heavier spring to go with your new frictions and steels. I installed an Alto Carbonite clutch pack and the Barnett heavy 480 lb. spring in mine. No slipping since. While the primary is open, inspect the compensator and consider updating to the latest version of the SE compensator. And of course inspect the chain tensioner for wear.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Sorry to hear about your woes.

If you were ever thinking of installing a chrome inner primary cover, now would be a good time.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Mine went at about 22k. Of course I don't think it had ever been adjusted since new and the rack the the wife and I aren't small people and I was doing a ride like a pro class probably pushed it over. Check the stuff mentioned. I pur an Energy One +1 Kevlar set in with a heavy duty spring in. No slip now unless I want it to.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Consider a Rivera Pro clutch......Top notch stuff, will easily hold onto your torque monster without a harder pull.......

YMMV

Lon

Old 07-14-2017, 11:05 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not here to brag but..... oh wait yes I am. It maketh me happy to share I'm closing in on 132,000K on the original plates 06' FLHTI. Heck, I 've only adjusted it twice. Original final drive belt as well. I have stirred around in the cam chest a couple times now, and replaced a stator once and regulator twice. I've been riding it daily for the last three years as only mode of...
I love it and will buy and or build another when I wear this one out.

My guess is it' hanging on by a wing and a prayer at this point. Lol

BOB

Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Shocked to read of clutches going out with such short mileage. My keeper bike, Road King I decided to put a new clutch in at about 75K??? Not toast but not performing the way I wanted it to. Put in a Barnetts Scorpion and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Tired
At the very minimum you will need a heavier spring to go with your new frictions and steels. I installed an Alto Carbonite clutch pack and the Barnett heavy 480 lb. spring in mine. No slipping since. While the primary is open, inspect the compensator and consider updating to the latest version of the SE compensator. And of course inspect the chain tensioner for wear.
First, this is excellent advice. Take it to heart and do what he did.
Second, yeah.... you say you don't abuse the clutch, but it sure sounds like you do. Any clutch that fails under 50K, is often operator error, or too much power. Lighten up a little, man. Either take it easy on the clutch or stop beating it senseless. When parts fail prematurely, it's usually a "freak accident" or operator error.

I promise, not calling you out or being a dick, just stating one mans opinion.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 07-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:49 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Shocked to read of clutches going out with such short mileage. My keeper bike, Road King I decided to put a new clutch in at about 75K??? Not toast but not performing the way I wanted it to. Put in a Barnetts Scorpion and couldn't be happier.
Look at his signature. He has done a few performance mods to that bike. It might be a little too strong for a stock clutch. Of course, clutches don't last forever but on a bone stock bike that is not abused a stock clutch should go way longer than 42k.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well it's open, might as well check the comp, chain, and tensioner. No sense opening the primary again to fix any of those.
Scott

Quick Reply: Lost my clutch today.