Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Center Console Lights & Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Fine09
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Problem with Center Console Lights & Speedo

This morning I went to start the bike to go to work and realized that the usual start up lights did not come on and cycle under the speedo and the odometer reading was blank too. All the other lights and turn signals worked fine. I removed the seat and jiggled the main harness and saw the lights flicker. That told me it was a loose connection or broken wire somewhere.

On the ride back from work they came on and the speedo started working again. By the time I got home they were off again. I removed the console and seat unplugged and re-plugged the connectors, jiggled the wires, checked the fuses - could not get them to come back on. Then I noticed that there is a very tiny dull red light blinking on the speedo around the 5:00 position. It keeps blinking even when the bike is off. I have never noticed it before. What is it? Could that be part of the problem? It isn't big enough to make out any type of computer status icon (6th gear, cruise control, etc). Other than the those lights and the speedo, the bike ran fine. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Fine09
Cruiser

I just found section 2.2 in the manual pertaining to Speedo failures and testing. I'll probably find my answer there.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

This must be your 09 RK. In the early 2000's, softails had a problem with the die-electric grease between the contacts of the ignition switch hardening. I am not sure if your RK has the same set up. Next time this happens, grab your ignition switch and twist it slightly both directions. Barely move it, just to the point of putting some pressure on it. If it starts working, then pull the console, take out the ignition switch and see if it can be disassembled. If so,, be careful, there might be tiny springs inside that can drop of fly out. clean the contacts and apply some good die-electric grease to the contacts (think of Shovelhead ignition switches) and reassemble.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Fine09
Cruiser

Thanks. I'll check out the switch. According to section 2.2 of the manual, the red blinking light is a "key" icon that is indicating some type of equipment malfunction. It shows some tests that I can run to see where the problem is. I'll start running those tests this evening when I get home from work.