Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition was left on overnight

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

my daily rider sits in a parking ramp covered during the winter.

i unhook the battery and alarm and let it sit. sometimes its months (think oct to april) between last start and next start

battery runs down and has to be charged annually.

battery still in bike, still in use. battery is six years old.

running them down does impact life i agree, however it does not always ruin battery

Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
my daily rider sits in a parking ramp covered during the winter.

i unhook the battery and alarm and let it sit. sometimes its months (think oct to april) between last start and next start

battery runs down and has to be charged annually.

battery still in bike, still in use. battery is six years old.

running them down does impact life i agree, however it does not always ruin battery
That actually isn't as hard on the battery, reason is that discharge is due to the internal resistance on the plates, very very low discharge rate. Still creates the lead sulfate but not at the rate as a high rate discharge.
My whole point was not knowing the history on the battery, he has reduced the battery life. A 100% discharge cuts the number of battery cycles by close to 80% and a 50% discharge is about 50% reduction.
This stuff has been tested and tested so why some people think it is mis-information is beyond me. It's basically chemistry 101.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

If the battery is not old you should be ok. If it's in it's last year of service you might want to go ahead and replace it.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Another reason why I do not use the kill switch.
For 12 years I never touch the kill switch was under the impression to correctly turn of the bike was by using ignition switch but now our both CVOs don't have ignition switch only kill switch even after 2000 miles and over a month I still reach for the ignition switch.Not sure if it's possible but I've read some where 14 or later bikes can be flashed with a software to disable the ignition and just kill switch will function as on / off switch.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
That actually isn't as hard on the battery, reason is that discharge is due to the internal resistance on the plates, very very low discharge rate. Still creates the lead sulfate but not at the rate as a high rate discharge.
My whole point was not knowing the history on the battery, he has reduced the battery life. A 100% discharge cuts the number of battery cycles by close to 80% and a 50% discharge is about 50% reduction.
This stuff has been tested and tested so why some people think it is mis-information is beyond me. It's basically chemistry 101.
Dude,

no disagreement from me, understand the chemistry as good as you

my point was not as you indicate, i agreed with what you said.

my single point was it does not ruin the battery to the point it must be replaced, unless it will not start or hold a charge.

just because event "A" happens it does not automatically cause reaction "B" to be taken.

unless you have unlimited funds thinking is better than just replacing a potentially good working part.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
Dude,

no disagreement from me, understand the chemistry as good as you

my point was not as you indicate, i agreed with what you said.

my single point was it does not ruin the battery to the point it must be replaced, unless it will not start or hold a charge.

just because event "A" happens it does not automatically cause reaction "B" to be taken.

unless you have unlimited funds thinking is better than just replacing a potentially good working part.
Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. As I said in my first post, I would just keep an eye on it, I wouldn't replace it. So think we were suggesting the same thing.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bowhunter61
Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you. As I said in my first post, I would just keep an eye on it, I wouldn't replace it. So think we were suggesting the same thing.
We are on same page.🖒

ride safe

Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 AM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1340hog
In the old days harleys used to get the "dreaded click"sometimes when you hit the starter and the only thing you would hear is a click.there were many reasons this happened but it seamed that if you used the kill switch every time you shut it down the frequency of the dreaded click was minimized.I have not heard of any newer bikes having a problem with this.So therefore i'm not sure why its still installed on harleys.I use it all this time because its what i have done for many years, habit i guess.
The ONLY time I ever use the kill switch is when parking on a steep incline and wanting to leave it in 1st gear, thus needing to have both feet on the ground with both hands busy operating the front brake and clutch. Use kill switch, release clutch, then front brake, then turn ignition off and kill switch back on...

Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotared
The ONLY time I ever use the kill switch is when parking on a steep incline and wanting to leave it in 1st gear, thus needing to have both feet on the ground with both hands busy operating the front brake and clutch. Use kill switch, release clutch, then front brake, then turn ignition off and kill switch back on...
That is a good time to use it.For me,you know the old saying
'its hard to teach old dogs new tricks"

Quick Reply: Ignition was left on overnight