Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing new, but watch the damn tar snakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:26 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Nothing new, but watch the damn tar snakes

Geeze, what a danger these things are. I almost lost it on a fast and curving freeway on-ramp when I inadvertently got lined up on a wide multiple snake pit of them that were running in the direction of my travel. Even the perpendicular ones cause a bit of wiggle in curves, but this collection of snakes nearly wiped me out. Lots of wobble from both tires but able to maintain. I think Indiana must regularly wax and polish their damn tar snakes... Ride safe.

Last edited by dakotared; 08-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:40 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Tar snakes remind me a lot of the soft desert we use to ride dirt bikes in. You kinda just have to let the motorcycle do what its gonna do. The more you try to control and the harder the inputs to the controls the worse its going to turn out.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

You wouldn't think tires would make much difference with tar snakes, but they do. Stock OEM Dunlop on my 1200C with a skinny 21" wheel was the worst handling bike on snakes and cracks I've ever ridden. Thought I'd need a wider tire, but tried Avons and... no wiggle now, and I only worry about tar snakes when they're wet, even though I haven't had a problem with them wet, either - but I don't push it on wet stuff.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:13 PM
elephantrider
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

as a new-ish rider, i've learned about the snakes. when it's
100 degrees + outside, those things try to kill ya.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

The state of NC just ruined Hwy 16 North of Wilkesboro 421 to the Blue Ridge Parkway with these stupid things.

If a road is that bad it needs to be repaired!

Motorcyclists have to pay taxes, we have to obey the traffic laws, we have to get safety inspections, we have to pay for license tags, we have to pay more on our drivers license for a motorcycle endorsement, we have to wear DOT helmets. Why is hell can we not expect SAFE roads? I guess the same reason we have to ride over the SLICK lines and SLICK arrows on the roadway.

Really stinks.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotared
Geeze, what a danger these things are. I almost lost it on a fast and curving freeway on-ramp when I inadvertently got lined up on a wide multiple snake pit of them that were running in the direction of my travel. Even the perpendicular ones cause a bit of wiggle in curves, but this collection of snakes nearly wiped me out. Lots of wobble from both tires but able to maintain. I think Indiana must regularly wax and polish their damn tar snakes... Ride safe.
I think your right there. My butt was puckered going around the curve on some of the highways. Even one turn was almost all tar and even low speed was shakey

Old 08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
The state of NC just ruined Hwy 16 North of Wilkesboro 421 to the Blue Ridge Parkway with these stupid things.

If a road is that bad it needs to be repaired!

Motorcyclists have to pay taxes, we have to obey the traffic laws, we have to get safety inspections, we have to pay for license tags, we have to pay more on our drivers license for a motorcycle endorsement, we have to wear DOT helmets. Why is hell can we not expect SAFE roads? I guess the same reason we have to ride over the SLICK lines and SLICK arrows on the roadway.

Really stinks.
Agreed!! Not sure if they have or not, but if they have not, motorcycle advocacy groups should take this subject up with their government contacts. Tar snakes create a potentially unsafe road surface for motorcycles... simple as that. We can deal with all the temporarily grooved repaving surfaces, and all the damn aggregate they let big construction trucks dump all over our intersections, but tar snakes are pervasive on fast moving roadways.

Last edited by dakotared; 08-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Tyres, gentlemen, tyres - as Imold points out. Don't put up with cr@p when you can have decent ones.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

I was thrown against the concrete center divider in Ut in 2008 on the way to Sturgis don't know how I made it out by just rubbing holes into engine and saddle bag guards till this day my spine gets tightened up by just looking at the damn tar snakes. Wife was following me on her UC she thought I'm done the way looks from the back sparking and debris flying off and rear end violently fish tailing.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

I've been bitten by a few tar snakes, they really do suck. I will get better tires the next time they're needed. Talk about waking you up!! Ride safe!!

Quick Reply: Nothing new, but watch the damn tar snakes