Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide Oil Diesel Specs Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

dribble---Most all modern Diesel engines now days have electronic controls, thanks to the EPA.

John

Old 08-12-2017, 03:24 PM
kwaropay
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dribble
I'm still wondering how running an automotive spec oil in a diesel engine will damage electronics.
For my 2016 RAM 1500 eco-diesel, if I don't run the right spec of Diesel oil, I am told it could cause damage to the DEF system (correction: Maybe that's DPF system).

However, most diesel oils also carry the API-SM or SN spec for gasoline engines...so it's confusing as hell that Harley would recommend a Diesel spec. I am thinking it's because most Harleys are air cooled and so much of what I read states that Diesel oil additives help prevent deposit buildups. The cleaner the engine, the longer it will last. Obviously this is just a guess on my part.

Last edited by kwaropay; 08-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:10 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

The oil FCA spec's for your ecodiesel is just low ash. Yes I own one also. I also know guys that have used regular old Delo in them from the first change and have never had an issue. I use the Rotella as specified now.

So what spec is HD360 or the HD syn? I don't think there is any spec on the bottles. So who knows? I do believe HD's Formula+ is pretty good stuff for the primary and trans. There used to be a guy around here that had over 100K mi. on his original twinkie using nothing but Walmart Super Tech 20w50 in all 3 holes changed every 5K mi. I just don't believe these motors are very picky. Choose a quality oil and change it at reasonable intervals. Ride, have fun, repeat.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 PM
kwaropay
Novice

Thanks "Tired!" I would love to buy the cheap SuperTech oil that I use in my wife's Toyota Sienna which doesn't burn a drop and has 110k miles, but I would kick myself if I messed up something like the clutch.

Hate to get off topic, but are you saying you use Rotella for your Ram 1500 eco? I looked at them and didn't see any that meet the ACEA-C3 Euro spec for the FCA diesel...I would hate to have to replace something with the DPF or DEF and I'm planning on keeping the truck for several years like my last one.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,453 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Sometime around mid July of 2016 FCA revised the oil requirement for the Ecodiesel.

The latest Diesel Supplement to the Owners Manual for all year Ecodiesels states:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

The following users liked this post:
kwaropay (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by PoCoBob
I am no expert on this subject but from what I've read is the reason Harley specifies diesel oil is because they recommend the same oil in all 3 holes. Gasoline engine oil has friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip. Oils designed for specific purposes should not cause any problem as long as you're using the oil for it's intended use.
This is correct, Harley suggests this for the KISS thought process.

Originally Posted by kwaropay
Found this interesting thread as I researched tonight...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/3676280/1

I'm going to run Mystic 15w50 for the Engine and Trans since it's rated appropriately and has the upper 50 viscosity. Ordered it online tonight.

And thinking I'm going to run Rotella T 15w40 (or maybe Rotella T5 or T6) for the primary since it is JASO-MA rated and has the appropriate diesel rating.

I know I won't put 5000 miles a year on my ride but I'll be changing all three every year just like I would do for my cars and trucks.

Please continue to share your thoughts as I'm still reading and interested. :-)
The 15w40 Rotella will perform better with your clutch then the T6

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-14-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:58 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

another oil post. anyway I use progresso vegetable soup in all three holes. NO problem, 8500 miles.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
another oil post. anyway I use progresso vegetable soup in all three holes. NO problem, 8500 miles.
I think it's ok to substitute Cambell's veggie soup if you have to change on the road. I'd stay away from the store brand though...

Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
I use alphabet soup. And use the letter "O's" on the drain plugs.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 PM
kwaropay
Novice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tired
Sometime around mid July of 2016 FCA revised the oil requirement for the Ecodiesel.

The latest Diesel Supplement to the Owners Manual for all year Ecodiesels states:

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

Oh man....that is great info on the Ram 1500 eco-diesel!!! Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide Oil Diesel Specs Question