Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping lock cylinder out

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 AM
vtchopperdude
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Default swapping lock cylinder out

I would like to remove the lock cylinder so I can put it in a new ignition switch. Mine has the floppy cover syndrome; the spring thingy that keeps the cover latched is gone so it flops in the wind. I'd like to get a new ignition switch, but put the lock barrel from the old ignition switch in the new switch so I don't have to rekey my fork lock and bags, or vice versa. Is this doable? The guy at the dealer said it's a non-serviceable unit and I'd have to buy a new ignition switch ($200) and then get my fork lock and bags rekeyed to match, or other way around. I read a thread where someone accidentally pulled the lock barrel out, so just seeing if it's doable without tearing up a new ignition switch, thanks.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,239 Likes on 808 Posts

Sure. Though I don't know the exact steps necessary for doing it to this specific lock. I've done it with others. At the worse, you have to pry a trim cover off. Though usually you just remove a circlip or such from the back and slip it out with the key in the lock cylinder.

The following users liked this post:
DCR08 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm don't know about swapping the lock cylinder but my ignition wasn't locking and I got a new one from Harley keyed the same as my original. They'll need your vin number and it'll be ordered.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 PM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wanted to switch out my ignition on my road king because I was turning all chrome black. I ordered a black ignition switch online. Plan was to disassemble and put the old barrel lock into the black ignition switch to retain the same key. Although fairly simple to do it didn't end up working for me because the electrical connector on the bottom of the ignition switch was slightly different from the original one preventing the wire harness from connecting properly. Removing the barrel lock is as simple as using spring clip pliers to remove the clip and then carefully taking it apart making sure to note orientation of the little springs inside and then putting it back together the same way.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

roger that; I didn't figure it was too difficult but I thought I'd ask; I'm going to attempt this tonight so I'll let yal know how it turns out

Old 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

well, I got it completely apart (almost); I couldn't get the barrel to drop out; I looks like there is a small allen head screw that may hold it in, but you'd need a extremely small allen wrench with a super short neck to get to it; unless I am missing something, that's the only way that I could see it coming out

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

ok I'm stumped; I can't believe nobody has swapped out the locking cylinders; they somehow got it seated in the ignition switch as a whole so it has to come out; how do they "rekey" ignition switches? I would think they'd have to pull the locking cylinder out to do that...maybe I'm wrong

Old 08-17-2017, 09:33 PM
glsec507
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyway you can post a pic of where you're at so far? I'm having trouble envisioning it or seeing it the way you describe

Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

which year/model bike is this about? I don't have any 'covers' on my 08 or 12 where the key inserts into the bike.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:15 AM
vtchopperdude
Tourer

this is for my 2009 Road King

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: swapping lock cylinder out