Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD Wireless Interface Module install with pics

Old 09-08-2017, 05:03 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,554 Likes on 5,152 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
This was a concern of mine. I thought it might be a "one or the other", but not both. I'd like the flexibility and am interested if this continues to work flawlessly for you or any others who choose to switch between wireless and hardwired.

Since you have the same year and model I'm considering the install on, I'd be interested in hearing how your's works out. This would be a winter project IF it works as designed.

Thanks to the OP for getting the ball rolling.
This is another thing I do not understand. had a few say the wired will not work after the install . So yesterday I took a band new head set that had never been opened. Took it out and plugged it in. Took bike a few second to see it. The I tried music it played over the head set. Then I tried voice command and it failed. I wait a few seconds and spoke louder it work , did it 3 more times.
I was told sound would suck with the interface, it sounds great. I wonder if the voice command learns. The more I use it the quicker it responds.
I went for 3 1/2 ride again today just to play with.
I did some how mess up a setting while playing with the voice commands. My left side toggle would no longer advance to next song . But I had seen that before . Went in and set it back to seek all was good.
I have a list of voice commands that don't do a darn thing. The are the result of playing and with it and getting pissed. Telling the GPS to xxxx it's self does not do anything "cancel route guidance" does.
Then there is the setting it to Classic mode. Check to enable.
I had never used the head sets and voice on my 2016 and had not used it on the 2017 so there is a learning curve.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:24 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,931 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I bought the 2018 CVO Road Glide, which comes with the WHIM module and Harley branded Sena 20s head set.

Before it would pair I had to update my Head set with the latest update and also my WHIM module, Then it was simple to pair.

I also installed the CB on my bike. Looks like I need the additional harness they claim is for the 2017 and older bikes. CB receives but does not transmit with the wireless head set. I have the harness on order.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:12 PM
Oldgzr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post install?

Did your install make the hard wired headset port Mike function not work? I had dealer install...300$ labor. Hard wired headset speakers still function but not Mike. Blue tooth Mike and headset speakers work. Seems like both old and new blue tooth should have been preserved but not the case... Wondering if this intentional wiring/software design or I have a faulty install? Dealer not sure. Thanks. Looks like I should have done install myself. By the way dealer said my nonharley Sena 20 would not pair...said HD was proprietary. ... This thread contradicts that information...

Old 09-10-2017, 01:05 PM
HDamont5
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i installed then took to dealer for flash, he hooked up and updated. but now we cant figure out how to connect sena, when we try to pair i keep getting a failed message. we went to look at 2018 CVO and they have a separate prompt for wireless headsets. so we once again updated radio unit and still different menu prompts and it still fails to pair with sena? any ideas.

Update: ok I have confirmed if you are using a pre2018 you DO NEED the updated cable. Even with out a CB. I had the correct cord but since I didn't have a CB I just plugged in grey to grey and didn't plug in the black adapter.

Once I went back and plugged in the one black end into bike and capped off the other end I now have the normal worthless headset prompt. And everything is working!!

Last edited by HDamont5; 09-10-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 09-11-2017, 05:02 PM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am installing the WHIM on a 2015 Tri-Glide Ultra with CB and XM radio. The kit provides a bracket to relocate the XM antennae. The instructions aren't as clear as they might be as to where this new bracket attaches. It's held on with double stick tape and is supposed to stick to the top of the speaker housing but it's unclear whether they mean the left or right speaker. Any suggestions? I'm hoping that moving the antennae improves the radio reception.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM
720Deere
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It goes on right (opposite] side of bike. I just trimmed a notch for the wire behind the windshield and mounted the antenna next to the vent. That is the location where people report the best reception.

The following users liked this post:
merlin41 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:29 AM
roadcapt
Cruiser

Ok I have a simple question, can't the infotainment system, which obviously allows pairing of phones, get a firmware update to allow pairing of headsets? I mean that technology exists already in a cell phone so it should be capable in the infotainment system you would think.

And secondly, why doesn't harley provide the cable that has the CB pigtail with the module?!?! If people have bikes with no CB that pigtail is just not connected. It sits unused with a rubber cover over the connector. Seriously I think they have morons working over there at times.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:59 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by roadcapt
Ok I have a simple question, can't the infotainment system, which obviously allows pairing of phones, get a firmware update to allow pairing of headsets? I mean that technology exists already in a cell phone so it should be capable in the infotainment system you would think.

And secondly, why doesn't harley provide the cable that has the CB pigtail with the module?!?! If people have bikes with no CB that pigtail is just not connected. It sits unused with a rubber cover over the connector. Seriously I think they have morons working over there at times.
No offense, but

smitty901 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:24 PM
airmorris9
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware!! I had initially come to the same conclusion as Toner123 but the conclusion is incorrect. I have a 2017 Road Glide Ultra and installed the WHIM kit myself. The cables are nearly identical except for the two wires (pink/white, brown/white) which are used for the CB pigtail on the extra harness required for '14-'17 touring bikes. I tried using the included WHIM kit cable (saving $50) since I did not have a CB module. After install, I updated WHIM software as stated in the instructions and took it to my HD dealer for the Boom Box Tech II flash. They flashed the boom box but the wireless headset icon would not appear in the setup menu as expected. Then I read by chance on another HD forum that even though you do not have a CB module, you must plug the CB pigtail into the black CB pigtail connector in the fairing as shown in first picture above, and then you plug the other end with the now available rubber plug (as stated in the instructions). Even though the other end of the connector goes into nothing, the plugged end of the CB fairing connector makes some connection that allows the system to work properly. When I did this, the wireless headset icon now appeared in the setup menu. Who knew but HD is correct in saying you need the additional wiring harness to complete you WHIM installation. I'm just trying to save others wasted time of thinking they can make the WHIM kit harness work on a '14-'17 touring model installation. I tried and it didn't work. If someone has a different experience I'd like to know - airmorris9

Last edited by airmorris9; 09-15-2017 at 09:27 PM.
regnadkcin (10-10-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 AM
rarrat
2nd Gear
Default Wireless interface help

I have installed the wireless interface module, cables, updated the headsets and the unit and had the Harley radio flash done. The headsets pair with the info systems wireless headset fine and show connected and enabled but get nothing through the headsets and I don't have a clue on what I need to do. any instructions on this would be a great help. I have the SPH10 headset.

Last edited by rarrat; 09-16-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New HD Wireless Interface Module install with pics