Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   bagger bumber towing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1196561-bagger-bumber-towing.html)

svarnster 09-04-2017 12:24 AM

bagger bumber towing

I saw an add for towing the bike with the front tire up on a chock while the rear tire stays on the ground. I was wondering if anyone has used this method and what are the pros and cons?

add miles, when not running.
bad for transmission.
easy loading and unloading.
possible clearance issues.

1340hog 09-04-2017 07:54 AM

I have never used this product but what i see is wear and tear on the rear tire ,belt and some other things and your not even riding the scoot.If and open trailer is not an issue then i would just get a real trailer,no wear and tear.

roussfam 09-04-2017 08:06 AM

There was a thread on this a little while back. Like anything else on this Forum, there were a lot of different opinions ...

DesertRider66 09-04-2017 08:14 AM

I have never tried towing my bike this way. Yesterday however I saw a small car being towed on a dolly by an RV. It did not have adequate clearance between the dolly and body- the result was damage to the body of the car where the dolly/trailer had been bouncing into the car for some time. Just be diligent about the details...

svarnster 09-04-2017 11:15 AM

I have trailers and bike will fit in bed of truck. problems I run into is no where to park trailer, and no safe way to get bike out of truck, once I get to destination. I ride It most of the time, but hard to carry all that is needed for a 10 day stay out of town with 2 people. leathers alone can fill the bags.

madmustang4 09-04-2017 12:28 PM

I have trailered bike to motel and then I leave the trailer (attached to the SUV) at the motel when I go riding. Have even been gone for a couple of weeks from the motel. Asked the hotel manager if it was ok to pull car and trailer off to the side and leave it there while I rode. Have never been told no.

RoadKingCop 09-04-2017 12:35 PM

Don't like the idea.

If you run over some type of debris and somehow your shifter gets bumped into gear while you're towing it, I imagine it would destroy your tire and transmission.

Used trailers are cheap.

Ben

roussfam 09-04-2017 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop (Post 16601981)
If you run over some type of debris and somehow your shifter gets bumped into gear while you're towing it, I imagine it would destroy your tire and transmission.

Used trailers are cheap.

Ben

Remove the shifter, one bolt

ORradtech 09-04-2017 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop (Post 16601981)

Used trailers are cheap.

Ben

Honestly, that sounds kinda far fetched. Granted not impossible but I'd be more worried about cutting the tire and running it flat. I've seen that happen to a car behind an RV and it wasn't pretty.

Trailers are cheap and far more versatile.

svarnster 09-04-2017 10:16 PM

I agree I think there are too many variables.