Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radios & HD touring bikes

Old 09-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default CB Radios & HD touring bikes

I purchased a 2017 FLTRXS not realizing the CB radio wasn't installed. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the cost to install CB. Part of the decision involves being informed that only the H-D CB module will fit in the fairing. No other CB radio option is (apparently) available other than the H-D CB.

My other bikes were Road Kings - I have no experience with CB on bikes. Can anyone with experience using CBs on HD touring bikes offer any information regarding how effective the H-D CB is; and/or what my other CB radio options may be? Thanks!

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; 09-08-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
I purchased a 2017 FLTRXS not realizing the CB radio wasn't installed. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the cost to install CB. Part of the decision involves being informed that only the H-D CB module will fit in the fairing. No other CB radio option is (apparently) available other than the H-D CB.

My other bikes were Road Kings - I have no experience with CB on bikes. Can anyone with experience using CBs on HD touring bikes offer any information regarding how effective the H-D CB is; and/or what my other CB radio options may be? Thanks!

Really up to you, lots of guys have CB's and never use them. I organize and lead a few large benefit rides each year and having a CB really helps keep in contact with my fellow Road Captains.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:57 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Do the other people you ride with use CB?
No? Skip it. You won't miss it.
Yes? Then get it. It's a painless install. BUT you also need the throttle side switchpack to get the PTT button. That's an extra $100+ part.

The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:05 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Same here. I had the CB installed on my '14 TG ($800+ controls and antenna). F_ _K you Harley. After years of it being standard. Cost of bike didn't go down.
All our chapter road captains have the CB. Some others have a handlebar mount unit and works OK.

Most of the people I ride with have one. It seems that truckers don't use it anymore. Can't figure that one out.

If the cost is OK with you and you want it - get it.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Intrepid (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

CB came stock in my '14 Ultra. Honestly, I do not use it often enough to say whether it is a help or hindrance. Perhaps I unconsciously don't use it because it's range is a joke. I've tried to use it in my garage with several interstates in close proximity to my house - nothing. I've enabled it and tried to use it literally while driving on the interstate - nothing. I've even tried to communicate with specific truckers as they passed me on the roadway - nothing. [This may be due to them using some frequency other than CB.] For those rare occasions I may be on the bike and we have a "chase car", I got a handheld device. This works like a charm from my garage to my upstairs bedroom - beyond that range, I have not had an opportunity to test it.

Oh, I almost forgot. The CB will occasionally kick in when you least expect it, and at full volume, at the exact moment your attention is required for some other random act.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:56 PM
twosailin
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I was disappointed they got rid of the CB. I debated putting one on as our group used them. But, at +$700, I said NO! I did not use it much, just mostly listened. If I want to talk to anyone in particular, I call them on the bluetoothed phone. This has a lot better range!.....John

Old 09-08-2017, 05:03 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,322 Likes on 10,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid

It really depends upon what you are figuring to do.

More and more people are switching over to SENA Communications or something of that sort. Helmet to helmet.

Especially with more bikes coming out without the CB radio.

Figure what suits your needs the best. I think the CB radio is becoming a thing of the past on motorcycles.

There may be a few drill teams that still use the CB radio. But that likely would not carry any value with your needs unless you are on a drill team or will me.

BuzzCap7

Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM
brian4.2
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
It seems that truckers don't use it anymore. Can't figure that one out.
Cellphones and laptops have made them all but obsolete.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate your insights.

No one I ride with has/uses CBs - it was more aimed towards (thoughts involving) communicating with a logistics vehicle (which could also be done with a cell phone), or inquiring of truckers what the road conditions ahead are over a route I'm taking. There are other options for that as well - but not having used CB previously I wasn't sure just how handy CB radio might be.

If the truckers are not using CB any longer, then its *really* not something that's likely to be of huge benefit. For the $800+ cost of installation I think I'll pass. But for the cost of these touring bikes, it seems somewhat cheesey of Harley to set up their "infotainment system" as "CB-ready" and then not install the CB. Their CB modules are not so expensive that it would make a huge difference in the base price of the bike if they came standard.

Thanks again for your responses.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

My '83 FLTC had a CB on it. I never used it, or turned it on for more than 5 minutes, total time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB Radios & HD touring bikes