Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Epoxy for oil deflector (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1197868-epoxy-for-oil-deflector.html)

Fscott4 09-11-2017 02:21 PM

Epoxy for oil deflector

I just got the SE compensator for my 08 flhtcu but no deflector or epoxy. I ordered the deflector through the local dealer today (cvo application is what they told me), but they want $51.00 for the epoxy. If that is in fact my only option then I dont have any problem getting it but I'm thinking there must be something else on the market that works as well or better.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks!

lp 09-11-2017 02:32 PM

JB Weld works fine and exceeds the epoxy in about every way possible.
Many have used it without any issues - including me.

big- mike 09-11-2017 02:33 PM

My kit had the oil deflector in it and I bit the bullet on the epoxy

Fscott4 09-11-2017 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by lp (Post 16626160)

Is that a 2 part epoxy?

Fscott4 09-11-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by big- mike (Post 16626166)
My kit had the oil deflector in it and I bit the bullet on the epoxy

I got mine pre-owned but not used...no deflector but everything else is there.

F150HD 09-11-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by lp (Post 16626160)

you run Formula+?

Wondering if the fluid one uses in the primary will matter.

Local dealer will glue on the piece for $40 here if one brings in their primary cover, but if JB works, I'd consider it. Far cheaper.

did you use the original JB Weld? they seem to have various types.

Roadie13 09-11-2017 08:28 PM

I've got plenty left from doing mine a couple years back. If you want it shoot me a pm with your address. I don't know of any shelf life on it, should be fine.

btsom 09-11-2017 09:08 PM

I did 2 of them, my 08 Road King and my son's 11 Road Glide Ultra. I wanted to use JB Weld and did a bit of research. It seemed fine to me. My son, the aerospace engineer (no joke) said he wasn't worried about the various lubes hurting the JB Weld but we had no idea if something in the JB Weld would cause a problem with either the oil or any components in the primary. We bought the recommended stuff for about $35 if I remember correctly. It came with a mixing nozzle and and adapter so it could be squeezed out in the proper mixture using a standard home size caulking gun. My other computer died that had the supplier's name and the shipping information so I can't provide that now. The name of the glue and the supplier should be in here somewhere. I still believe JB Weld would have been fine but I couldn't argue with my son's reasoning. Use what makes you feel comfortable. Both the standard and quick curing JB Weld are the equal of the recommended stuff so far as strength and temperature tolerance go. If you go with JB Weld, I would recommend allowing an over night cure before exposing it to oil and normal running conditions. I believe the other stuff is good to go in about an hour.

FlamedFXR 09-11-2017 09:31 PM

I used JB... no issues. Just get it clean.

rscott 09-11-2017 10:23 PM

I used the JB high heat epoxy it is rated at higher temp and has a higher strength rating than the stuff from MOCO. Mines been in for two years no problems with JB.