Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential new bike.... help me out! Road Glide VS Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 PM
BRIT206
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Potential new bike.... help me out! Road Glide VS Ultra Limited

Hi guys..

So I am new to these forums.. it's pretty confusing but I think I am in the right place.

So here's the deal, I am about to buy a new bagger, and I am still looking every day.. but I feel as though I have narrowed it down to 2 specific bikes, and I would love to get some experienced (and unbiased if possible) opinions here.

First bike - 2012 Road Glide Custom, 4650 miles, Vance and Hines exhaust system, a few extras/add ons here and there.. BUT it also comes with the Tour Pak add on.. the passenger arm rests/back supports and etc (so it is ALMOST like an Ultra already), and it is REALLY clean.

Second bike - 2011 Ultra Limited, 18,500 miles, Vance and Hines exhaust system, all the bells and whistles that comes with the 'limited' (heated grips, chrome trim, better wheels etc), and it is clean as well.. but not quite as clean as the RG (some nicks and scratches, not as shiny paint etc).

So, I will try and answer some questions before they are asked to save time.. YES I have ridden both bikes, actually 3 or 4 times each, and that is pretty much why I am here. After riding both, I am STILL undecided. I like both, I really do. If I am being honest, the Ultra Limited feels a little more 'comfortable' to me, my wife as well on the back, the sound system is WAY better (speakers in the back as well as up front), I love the heated grips, and the chrome trim throughout and etc is cool, but is not a winner for me either way so not that important.
The RG rides better on the freeway, it just does. It cuts through the wind better, it is more stable at 75 mph+, it takes less effort to turn at slow speeds and etc, and it is more 'roomy', or so it feels..
The reason I am torn is this, I need the comfortable back seat (my wife rides with me a lot), and yes we do some good mileage (not across country or anything like that) but definitely 100+ miles most weeks, BUT I also ride the bike solo a LOT, and go around town, to the store, to the bar, to meet my buddies and etc.
The Limited is not going to be a bike I can take the back seat/tour pak off and on when I am riding solo, as opposed to the RG being 'upgraded' with the tour pak and back seat and etc with the quick detach, I could do just that.

I should add that both bikes are the same color, pretty much the exact same price, and the 'look' of them, I could go either way. I know.... the Fugly RG just doesn't get to me like it seems to get to everyone else :/

Anyway.... what do you guys think? Opinions or experience with either...? Help!

Thanks for reading,

Barnaby

Old 09-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Sopranos
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quite a difference in miles! Neither one has too many so no issue there. In fact, I would be more concerned about the lower mileage for almost 6 years old? Again, probably not an issue at all.

I can't really speak on the difference as I've only owned the RG (2010). Great ride... hard decision I'm sure.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll end up happy either way.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
BRIT206 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:09 PM
phil48315
Road Warrior
Received 1,596 Likes on 504 Posts

Cant say anything about the Road glide, but heard good things said about it.
I have a 2011 ultra limited and love it... and thought about putting the quick detachable mounting kit on the tour pak.......
But I think I'm going to leave it and just ride my Wide Glide for short trips.

BRIT206 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I am a shark rider. You sound like an Ultra guy to me.

BRIT206 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:20 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I put a seat and shocks on my Road Glide, Toss on the sissy bar and t-bag and were off on week long road trips. Im happy, wife is happy.

BRIT206 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:21 PM
BRIT206
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phil48315
Cant say anything about the Road glide, but heard good things said about it.
I have a 2011 ultra limited and love it... and thought about putting the quick detachable mounting kit on the tour pak.......
But I think I'm going to leave it and just ride my Wide Glide for short trips.
Interesting... have you priced out what it would cost you to put all the detachable hardware and etc on the Ultra? I wonder what it would cost in relation to the difference in cost between the two bikes....

Also.. do you notice any issue on the freeway or at highspeeds/etc with the batwing fairing? Any bad wind buffeting or anything that makes the ride any less enjoyable?

Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 PM
BRIT206
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sixguns
I put a seat and shocks on my Road Glide, Toss on the sissy bar and t-bag and were off on week long road trips. Im happy, wife is happy.

What did you do for shocks? Make it lower or higher? And with that... how tall are you?

That specific bike apparently seated a shorter rider than me ( I am 6'0'), and he had put shocks on it that made it a little lower... didn't seem to notice it much on the ride, but the guy said that I would definitely consider putting the stock shocks back in to make it a little taller again

Old 09-17-2017, 10:30 PM
phil48315
Road Warrior
Received 1,596 Likes on 504 Posts

Around $550.00 but says you need to purchase a wire harness also.
Here's the link
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...24609b--1#tabs

Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 PM
Racerxray1
Novice
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Ultra and added the detachable tour pack kit when I ride solo. The tour pack goes on the bike when mama rides. I think it gives you the best of both worlds.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:37 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIT206
What did you do for shocks? Make it lower or higher? And with that... how tall are you?

That specific bike apparently seated a shorter rider than me ( I am 6'0'), and he had put shocks on it that made it a little lower... didn't seem to notice it much on the ride, but the guy said that I would definitely consider putting the stock shocks back in to make it a little taller again
My shock change was all about a better ride with more travel, so I replaced the stock 12" with 13's

Quick Reply: Potential new bike.... help me out! Road Glide VS Ultra Limited