Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question. Its not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
kempomark
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shocking!

I had stock air shocks on both my Electra Glide and my Street Glide. The air shocks on the SG would bottom out regardless of how much air I put in them. And, they leaked no matter what I did on all the connections. I finally bit the bullet and put Legend coils on. Now now no bottoming! Handles much better too. There is a reason that Harley no longer puts air shocks on their touring bikes, just sain...

Old 09-20-2017, 12:31 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I ran the 13" H-D hand adjustables on my FLHTK with good success until about 27,000 miles, at which point their performance began to degrade. At 28,000 I replaced them with a set of Ohlins shocks. The Ohlins are much better than the 13" H-D hand adjustables were when new.
I sure can't feel the difference!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by tbob
HD in mass production could contract out with one of the upper end suspension
makers at a fraction of cost. And the consumer would gladly pay a price increase. What they put on now is bottom line single adjust low cost poor results at best. Most riders can't compare because they haven't rode one with
a good suspension.
they already do , but they put the high quality parts in the Screaming Eagle catalog instead of on the bike .

Old 09-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I sure can't feel the difference!
No disrespect but if that's the case, I would suggest you don't have a set tailor made for your a$$ & riding style or they were never set up correctly.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:21 PM
sirgildus
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my Road King, I didn't like the air shocks on the bike. I experimented with different settings (psi) and I just couldn't dial it in. I found out after I took them off that the left shock (drive-side) had a leak! I live in New England and I've learned to avoid potholes and inattentive drivers! They just didn't have that "feel" I was looking for and my back was hammered consistently when it bottomed out on me because bumps/potholes up here are like whoop-dee-doos on a motocross track so I switched to the Progressive 412s. The original Showas were 13" and I ordered the corresponding 412s with the heavy duty springs. I left the preload on the lowest setting and my back and I have never been happier!!! The bike's rear end is now so responsive instead of just hanging on waiting for the front's input that I can cut corners so hard that I am now constantly scraping the tip of the jiffy stand on left-hand curves. The rights are just a blast! It's now a joy to ride and not to brag or anything but the rear tire has no chicken strips. I am using the bike's capability to the max! Harleys may weigh more than most bikes but that doesn't mean they're slugs! My next project is to tune the forks because you can't tuna fish!!! God I crack myself up!

Old 09-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I didn't come on here to argue or bash Ohlins, my shocks were ordered as per the vendors recommendations and were set up with them over the phone. And they DON'T ride any better than the H-D premium adjustable. I am just stating my experience with both.

The following users liked this post:
bad tappets (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Compliant, predictable, adjustable does not mean soft. To the contrary. Better road feel is part of the reason to upgrade suspension. Along with better handling, increased lean angle (maybe you never scrape floorboards), reduced and controlled brake dive with front suspension upgrades. Suspension upgrades make for a better and safer ride. One the passenger notices and also appreciates.
This Man gets it. Well said.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:38 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm not looking for a 50's or 60's Cadillac ride on my Harley, I don't want my back out of place
when I hit a pothole either.

Setting up your suspension correctly, for how you ride is important, even with the old air shocks
and with any aftermarket shock. Setting the sag, or preload properly may be all that is needs to
improve the suspension no matter what it is.

We all know good suspension when you have it.

John

Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

My bike feels like its going to bust a rim every time I hit a small bump. Manhole covers, train tracks, etc. Tried turning the adj **** up and down, still have that solid hit thru out the full adj range. One of these days, Ill break down and get some Ohlins.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Softy 103
I didn't come on here to argue or bash Ohlins, my shocks were ordered as per the vendors recommendations and were set up with them over the phone. And they DON'T ride any better than the H-D premium adjustable. I am just stating my experience with both.
Yeah, we get that. It's a disappointment that you haven't had a better experience, as most of the rest of us have.

Quick Reply: Suspension Question. Its not what you think