Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question. Its not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM
e11charlie
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Suspension Question. Its not what you think

This is more of a personal knowledge inquiry. Something I have not been able to wrap my mind around. I consider myself smarter than average but can not figure out how you have a preload suspension adjustment on just one shock. Every bike I have had that had dual shocks on the back Ive had to adjust each individually. This 2016 has just one preload adjuster. No line that runs to the other side. How they hell does that work? The guys at the dealership can't explain it to me. I had a friend who totaled his electra glide because one shock went bad as he was digging into a corner. I don't know that many guys that have this set up. Most have older touring bikes with wither the air shocks or older setups. If some one with the know how could please explain this.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Swing arm is stiff enough to not flex when supported on just one side.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hammz
Swing arm is stiff enough to not flex when supported on just one side.
In addition, we now have differential damping, at both front and rear of some models. In other words one side damps on compression, the other side damps on rebound. These features enable our suspension to respond more quickly to the bumps and thumps we ride over, supposedly providing an improved riding experience.

I say 'supposedly' as our beloved mothership still seriously compromises our ride quality with less than ideal suspension, but at least they are moving in the right direction. With the cost of some current models they really should come with top drawer suspension that is not surpassed in the aftermarket!

Last edited by grbrown; 09-19-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

It's a simple basic way to set preload. Think of it as a side mounted mono shock. I think it's cheap and lazy. Most riders are worried about the loud pipes or stereo and then the
funds are gone . The first thing the bike needs is a quality suspension upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by tbob
It's a simple basic way to set preload. Think of it as a side mounted mono shock. I think it's cheap and lazy.
I don't agree that it's cheap or lazy, more a step in the right direction. Unfortunately there is still a way to go before H-D gives us suspension to be proud of and pleased with!

Most riders are worried about the loud pipes or stereo and then the
funds are gone . The first thing the bike needs is a quality suspension upgrade.
That is just so true! Priorities of many owners are a mystery to me. Better suspension will boost performance as well as comfort.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I don't agree that it's cheap or lazy, more a step in the right direction. Unfortunately there is still a way to go before H-D gives us suspension to be proud of and pleased with!

That is just so true! Priorities of many owners are a mystery to me. Better suspension will boost performance as well as comfort.
HD in mass production could contract out with one of the upper end suspension
makers at a fraction of cost. And the consumer would gladly pay a price increase. What they put on now is bottom line single adjust low cost poor results at best. Most riders can't compare because they haven't rode one with
a good suspension.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2017 Road Glide. The rear suspension is rigid, terrible, I feel every ripple in the road. It feels like the rear tire is over inflated by say 15-20 Lbs. Sad, should have say dual rate springs... Plenty of off road vehicles got it covered..

Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tbob
HD in mass production could contract out with one of the upper end suspension
makers at a fraction of cost. And the consumer would gladly pay a price increase. What they put on now is bottom line single adjust low cost poor results at best. Most riders can't compare because they haven't rode one with
a good suspension.
Very true. The disappointing thing is that Showa make a wide range of suspension that H-D could access and use, to give us all a serious upgrade in ride quality. They have some great upside-down forks for our dressers!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Rude dog
I have a 2017 Road Glide. The rear suspension is rigid, terrible, I feel every ripple in the road. It feels like the rear tire is over inflated by say 15-20 Lbs. Sad, should have say dual rate springs... Plenty of off road vehicles got it covered..
It's not springs you need, but good quality dampers. The better brands of shocks come with weight-matched single-rate springs and are worth every penny, especially if Mrs R likes to ride shotgun.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm not coming on here to knock Ohlins or anybody else, but I have to give an honest opinion. I have the Ohlins 2-2b's on my 12 street glide and it rides a lot better than stock. I also installed a set of H-D's premium ride 12" adjustable shocks on a buddies 12 street glide and I think it actually rides as good if not better than mine. Again not bashing anyone, just saying.

Quick Reply: Suspension Question. Its not what you think