Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Tour-Pak Pads "Cushion" of pad accessory?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Harley Tour-Pak Pads "Cushion" of pad accessory?

(Title should read "or pad accessory").

Hi.

Does anyone make a pad or cushion accessory for the Harley Tour-Pak Pods? Terrible marketing name but something like a "Tour-Pak Pod Pad"?

I'm thinking of something to replace the speakers with, say, an inch and half or so of foam covered to match the vinyl of the Pod/seat/backrest?

I don't use the speakers. In fact, I don't use a sound system. But the Pods are useful for wedging "Her Highness's" *** into place and, in my opinion, look visibly better than the Pak with just the arm rests. I suppose in Winter they might even add up to a few less drafts.

A quick google didn't turn anything up.

I stripped the OEM grill off the Pods and mine is a little damaged where someone or someone must have poked or crushed it. They use 4 machine screws and wellnuts to hold them in place.

It would be the easiest thing in the world to make up some circles and have them covered to in vinyl to match ... but I can't work out how to them attach them. I don't know of any press fit or "pop" kind of fitting that might work and allow for the speakers to be replaced at a later date. Obviously, if you covered a simple circle with foam and vinyl, you would not be able to screw it into place.

I'd be surprised if something similar did not already exist in the market, or that there would not be demand for one.

I can see the appeal of having a sound system where you don't have to wear helmets and there are no neighbors or perhaps for blasting Wagner out at 11 to drown out some "bloods" playing rap music in their car with their windows wound down, or having one wired/wirelessed into helmets where you can get a good quality sound without adding to overall noise pollution, but I cannot understand having one you've got to listen to wearing a helmet.

Speakers seem like a bit of a pre-headphone/pre-bluetooth anachronism to me. Safety aside, helmet make for good earmuffs in colder climes too.

TIA

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I've never seen blank ones, my bike has no sound system so the tourpak is naked as the day it was born and proud of it! I suspect it will be simpler to find a local upholsterer to fill the speaker holes with foam or something similar, then recover the pods from scratch.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Why not just leave the speakers in and the radio turned off?
Also, my GF and I both wear helmets and we can hear the radio fine. Sure, ear plugs are better audio wise, but after awhile having something physically in your ear for 14 hours on the road day after day just leads to sore ears... Radio works better for that.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Wodan
Banned

Originally Posted by lp
Someone's stuck their finger through the grill I think ... and I think it would add to the looks and comfort.

I've never felt the need for a sound track while riding.

GrBrown, did your pods just come with speaker holes in them?

Mine also come with the switches on the outside.

Last edited by Wodan; 09-20-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Wodan
GrBrown, did your pods just come with speaker holes in them?
I don't have any pods, I was simply suggesting an alternative way of dressing up yours.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Wodan
Banned

Ah, I see from your bike's photo in the signature.

I'll have a look into that idea.

Yes, I suppose it would be possible to leave the stock cover underneath so when it comes to selling the bike or box on, I could still get my money back.

The Premium Leather Tour-Pak (which, for the record is not all leather!) has a kind of circular backrest with "faux" ostrich leather on it (WTF, ostrich leather has to do with an H-D, I have no idea, don't they come from Africa?).

I thought it would look good to match it in some way. But, yes, covering the entire pod could then match the armrest. That way I could hide the switches/volume adjuster too.

Does anyone sell blanking plates for them too? They are just for some kid to fiddle with and break off. The pods have a cigarette lighter on them too. At least it is useful for charging stuff on the go.

Last edited by Wodan; 09-21-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

I've been to South Africa and seen real live ostriches in the wild. Seems surreal watching them walk through wheat fields on a normal looking farm!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Also, my GF and I both wear helmets and we can hear the radio fine. Sure, ear plugs are better audio wise, but after awhile having something physically in your ear for 14 hours on the road day after day just leads to sore ears... Radio works better for that.
I am kind of new to the external sound thing since I just bought a Tri-Glide Ultra 2 months ago. Before that, I did all my music listening through the Cardos.

I used to swear that I would never ride around with music blasting and thought of people who did as I think of hip-hoppers blasting the bass out of their cars.

But then we bought the Tri-Glide (we have the WHIM but the music is mono with the Cardos) and started playing through the speakers. My God-what an experience!!! Allman Brother's Live at the Fillmore East never sound so good. We did the entire Blue Ridge and it was one of the best rides in my life.

We discovered that using the Helmet to Helmet Intercom works best as it does not cut out the music. It is more like sitting in a club and talking over the music.

I am not sure what the HD Senas sound like. I will most likely buy them, if for no other reason than the stereo sound. I might change my mind afterwards.

Now, if I am running down the street, I don't usually listen to PlayLists. I will listen to radio and though the helmet but if I want to get into the zone, I go with speakers.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM
Wodan
Banned

It seems no one sells replacement cushions or pads. I'm trying to find some kind of press fit wellnut to make some up, or a seat manufacturer interested in the idea.

No need for a South African safari. Vinyl will do.

I wonder how far the sound carries in the mountains or desert? And what it would be like if everyone did it? Phones ringing up mountains are bad enough, for those of us who remember what "peace" meant.