Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best windshield for Road Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:03 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

The best for you will be defined differently then what's best for mine.

I am 6' with a long torso, so I sit more like someone much taller than I. When I shopped, I first looked at what style I wanted that will best produce the look I want. Then, I looked at several in that style. I settled on Klock Works, mainly because of my past experience with them. (Great customer service)

I have 2 KW's in different heights. I went with the pro tour, as it sits up straighter than the spot, and the 12" tour is actually taller than the 14" sport.

I have both the 12 and the 15 in the light tint, and change them up for warmer and colder weather.

The 15, although not a bad looker, is huge. Takes away from the sleekness of the RG. The 12 is much better looking.

Both give great protection, but the 15 keeps most everything off of you.

Good luck with your choice, LRS makes good products, have one on the Heritage.

What ever you get, measure the height you need by marking how high it is to just Anders your nose. Most anything you put on will far out perform the thum nail that comes stock.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 09-30-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:23 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
I have a Freedom Shields windshield. Great quality, thicker than most, no distortion, looks good, and great people to work with. Their windshields also have a recurve at the top. They will recommend a size for you based on your measurements if you call or e-mail them.

You can return/exchange the windshield if too tall or short as long as the protective film is still on the shield. I've been very happy with mine - makes a big difference from stock.

+1 on Freedom Shields

Caberto... Beautiful bike!

Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like you already got a link and some good info. I’ll link to a review I did a while back on 3 shields I tested out for my RGS just in case you’re still researching.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...-write-up.html

Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Well, I ordered a 10" from Long Ride Shields.

Is the replacement pretty easy to do on a 2018?Just a matter of removing the screws that hold it in place? Do the wellnuts stay in place?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:49 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Well, I ordered a 10" from Long Ride Shields.

Is the replacement pretty easy to do on a 2018?Just a matter of removing the screws that hold it in place? Do the wellnuts stay in place?
No real issues on mine. Wellnuts stayed in place. Had 1 that was extra tight during removal so I took no chances and chased all the wellnut threads prior to reassembly. If I remember correctly, threads are 10/32.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:52 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Windshields are usually a personal preference, I use a Klockwerks 8" shield but tried several others before stopping with what I have. It deflects the wind just right for me but some people don't like them.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:07 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 381 Posts

I have a 10" LRS Stingray on my '16 RGS. I am 5'9" or 5'10" and the stock windshield put the air right at the top of my helmet. it would shake my head around and make my vision blurry a little. Since the LRS, that is no longer an issue. I don't really even notice wind from the front anymore.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:22 PM
RunningWild7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom shield

Just ordered a freedom windshield from John. I sit 5'9" and he recommended 14". I think it will be too tall for me to see over but will post an update once it arrives.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 PM
moharley2000
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RunningWild I am 5"9 and have a 32" inseam. I'm thinking I need the same windshield as you! I'm getting a 2019 Road Glide in a couple weeks. I figured I would need the 12". Please message me when you figure out what shield you need. Thank you!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:53 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by moharley2000
RunningWild I am 5"9 and have a 32" inseam. I'm thinking I need the same windshield as you! I'm getting a 2019 Road Glide in a couple weeks. I figured I would need the 12". Please message me when you figure out what shield you need. Thank you!
Something else you may want to consider before buying a shield is if you will be happy on the stock seat. If you change your seat after the shield, it will move you into a different position (probably 1” or so higher), and may make the new windshield less effective.

is Running Wild on a stock seat? - probably want to find that out before you base your decision on what he got

If you are planning a seat, I would do that first.

Quick Reply: Best windshield for Road Glide?