Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tested Several Seats Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts
Thumbs up Tested Several Seats Today

I went and tested several seats today, so that the 'old lady would be more comfortable for longer trips. I was happy with my stock MeanCityCycle seat, but, because of the surgery my wife had, to correct a back issue, she's never been able to ride that long.
We tested the Hammock, the Sundowner, the Tallboy and the Saddleman Road Sofa.
The Road sofa was hard, rock hard. It also raised me up about an inch. The wife hated it immediately. Stating that it too hard and hit her thighs in a wrong way. (Turn off the dirty minds) it was, however, made with fantastic care and craftsmanship. It also looked great. But, alas, didn't fit us, at all.
Next was the Hammock. This, quite frankly, was the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden with. It was big, soft, over stuffed and farely supportive. The seating position was pretty close to stock. The wife loved how it felt, but her little butt did a lot of sliding around. She said it wasn't supportive for her, at all. But because it was cushy, it was still in the running. Next came the Sundowner. Neither of us liked it very much. It was a Road sofa of inferior build quality. But it was as massive as the Hammock. Neither the Hammock nor the Sundowner, looked good on the Streetglide. Just toooooo big. But I loved how the Hammock felt, so I would've sacrificed fashion for comfort.
Just when we were going to either give up, or get the Hammock and modify it, out comes the Tallboy. It's more narrow than the last two, but a little bigger than the Sofa. It was firm, but not too firm. It was very supportive, and it moved me back about an inch. Which I loved. The wife also said the same. She felt supported, felt zero pressure points and had plenty of padding.
My finding were as follows; The Hammock, for the win, if you have a tour pack. It's huge and supper comfortable. The Tallboy if you don't. I don't, so Tallboy it is. Not sure I'd be able to cross the country with the Tallboy like I could with the Hammock, but, It is a far cry better than what I'm used to. And, the wife is happy. And, as we all know, 'Happy wife, happy life'.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bafflingbs:
chickenhauler (09-30-2017), Michael Haz (05-26-2019)
Old 09-29-2017, 09:47 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

do you have a sissy bar ? it might do a lot to help your wife's back problems .

Old 09-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Yep, got that covered. She actually had an experimental surgery, that fused or bound her SI joint, in her pelvis. So, actually, she has more problems with her hip, while riding. Believe it or not, this corrected her back issues by relieving the sciatic nerve.

The following users liked this post:
not_so_newb (10-01-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

I have two seats for my Street Glide...it came with the Road Zeppelin. Looks bizarre, it's so big. But super comfortable especially for my wife. So, that seat gets the nod when we ride together. The detachable packer bar doesn't work with that seat, but the detachable tour pack works great, plus we have more room for 'things'.

A pal gave me the more or less stock seat from his FLHX, which looks good, puts me down a couple of inches lower, I've ridden 500+ mile days solo with it, no problem. When it's just me and no tour pack, that one gets the nod. I have a seat pin which makes changing seats out a thirty second affair max, a little more if I decide to plug in the Led Zeppelin.

So, my recommendation, OP, is get a quick release seat pin, or whatever, use the seat that suits you when you're alone, put the 'wife seat' on when appropriate...you have choices! I've worked it this way on both my Street Glides...

Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Thanks for sharing this info with us.

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic and am 6.2" tall. I've had to modify most of my bikes by moving the foot pegs forward and down to keep from being rocked back on my tailbone. With the Ultra Classic I have not found a way to lower the floorboards, so I get a sore tailbone after a few hours. Using highway pegs helps a little, but I was still thinking a better seat might help.

I was thinking of a Tallboy seat, but from what I have seen I would have to give up my backrest which I am not willing to do.

Do you recall what they were asking for the Hammock seat?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:18 PM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoyt 1911a1
thanks for sharing this info with us.

I have a 2010 ultra classic and am 6.2" tall. I've had to modify most of my bikes by moving the foot pegs forward and down to keep from being rocked back on my tailbone. With the ultra classic i have not found a way to lower the floorboards, so i get a sore tailbone after a few hours. Using highway pegs helps a little, but i was still thinking a better seat might help.

I was thinking of a tallboy seat, but from what i have seen i would have to give up my backrest which i am not willing to do.

Do you recall what they were asking for the hammock seat?

Old 10-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 363 Posts

Thanks vbx07. I had read some prices on the fancy seats on upwards of $800.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:45 PM
CPD
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

The new Tallboy seat does have the ability to allow for a rider backrest. Not sure why HD hasn't updated there info. Just double check at the dealer by turning it over and you will see where the hardware fits inside the seat mold.
My wife and I love this seat for everything said here on our SGS. We had the Sundowner, that seat was ok for her but pushed me to forward, I'm 6'1. When we tried the tallboy she liked it so much more so win, win! I go with the CVC solo seat when alone as that keeps me in the same position.
Hope this helps some.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 PM
VJ_SGS100
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPD
The new Tallboy seat does have the ability to allow for a rider backrest. Not sure why HD hasn't updated there info. Just double check at the dealer by turning it over and you will see where the hardware fits inside the seat mold...
Actually, Harley says that backrest works, but not the adjustable...

"Accepts rider backrest (except adjustable style) for additional touring comfort"

Old 10-04-2017, 03:23 AM
CPD
Cruiser
Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Correct, I should have been more specific. The new Tallboy seat accepts the adjustable backrest hardware.

Quick Reply: Tested Several Seats Today