Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any high mileage compensators on 09 or 10 models?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Any high mileage compensators on 09 or 10 models?

I've been reading a lot about compensator failures on pre 2011 models. I understand in 2011 they started using the SE compensators because of problems with the old style. Since I have a 2010 Ultra about to turn 41,000 I have concerns since I recently experienced symptoms of beginning compensator problems. It really irritates me that Harley knows this problem exists but has only put a band aid on the problem by switching to the SE model. So while I research the SE along with the Baker compensator I began wondering how long someone has made it with the old style compensator.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:40 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by C908
I've been reading a lot about compensator failures on pre 2011 models. I understand in 2011 they started using the SE compensators because of problems with the old style. Since I have a 2010 Ultra about to turn 41,000 I have concerns since I recently experienced symptoms of beginning compensator problems. It really irritates me that Harley knows this problem exists but has only put a band aid on the problem by switching to the SE model. So while I research the SE along with the Baker compensator I began wondering how long someone has made it with the old style compensator.
============================================

NOT MINE!/LOL!

Comp on my 09 flhtcu with bone stock 96" was completely shot actually broke into mult pieces at 9,700 miles and my bike was not abused at all either that has no power upgrades.

Bike also did the loud bang/clunk thing when starting it up when comp was going bad too.

I replaced the bad comp myself with an SE comp & GMR Compensaver oiling tray & 18k miles later the SE comp is doing ok so far.

But if it were to crap out i think i'd be inclined to try the solid sprocket other then install another SE comp or even a Baker comp to get away from compensators all together.

And i agree 100% that this is yet another issue HD turned a blind eye too screwing their customers by not dong the right thing when they knew 2009-2010m etc HD in fact had inferior defective compensators as recieved new from the factory.

Same go's for the issues with throttle body connectors that cause 09-2010 etc hd's to suddenly loose all throttle control not matter where you are at the time like has happened on my bike 4-5x times not including after i had to pay to have hd's replacement pins installed and it still does it every 3k miles or so whicl almost got killed 2 of the times it's happened to my bike thus far thats a huge safety issue.

I was told by local HD dealer and also when i called HD tech l;ine that only fix past p[ins is to replace thew wiring harness for bike buck all at my cost.

Thanks Harley Davidson for all the support,help & concern with what can be expensive repairs let alone the safety aspect due to design issues and or inferior parts or workmanship issues that many 2009-2010 hd's are experiencing.

I tried to report the throttle body issue to NTSB but i became too time consuming and frustrating when time after time i'd fill out yet another set of forms they would then say now you need to fill this out & then that out & i got fed up after 3-4x of that and gave up.

If i have any more serious issues with my HD with only 28k original miles on it that will likely get me back to metrics that are just about bulletproof & are quicker for approx 1/2 the cost.

I really like my HD buy i am not a gluten for punishment either especially when it comes to throwing money down the drain i don't really have for mech issues my not abused bike should not have had @ 9,700 & 12k miles respectively.

Now if my HD had those issues with compensator & TB connector at 77-80-90k miles that would be understandable, but my HD should not have had issues with shot compensator breaking into pieces at 9,700miles with bone stock non abused 96" motor and TB connectors loosing all throttle control starting when my bike only had 12k miles on it which is an ongoing issue which are both very common issues many 09 & 10 HD's experience that HD refused to stand behind & do the right thing by correcting it @ their cost.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Comp mileage

I have a 2012 Limited and got 25,000 on original which was the old style, in 2014 the came out with the newest version with the internal lube sling 42200064a. Myself and a few other friends that I have installed them for have had good luck with the newer style but with an additional mod and a change in ride style. In light of all the metal you usually get out of the oil in the primary it seems to be mainly coming from the compensator wear on the spokes and ramps so I started polishing them as they are unfinished cast. Also lower RPM riding and lugging seems to add extreme stress to the springs causing them to compress or wear out sooner than they should. I now have close to 70,000 miles on the bike which is 45,000 on the polished one and keep my RPM's over 2,500 and mostly 3,000-3,500. Took the primary apart for a new out put shaft seal and 0 play in the comp and no detectable wear, so far so good and friends miles and results are the same.

Attached Thumbnails Any high mileage compensators on 09 or 10 models?-2016-compensator-pics-on-phone-054.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 10:03 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

" Also lower RPM riding and lugging seems to add extreme stress to the springs causing them to compress or wear out sooner than they should. I now have close to 70,000 miles on the bike which is 45,000 on the polished one and keep my RPM's over 2,500 and mostly 3,000-3,500. Took the primary apart for a new out put shaft seal and 0 play in the comp and no detectable wear, so far so good. "

================================================== ==============

BINGO!

I too think riding style keeping rpm a min of 2,500rpm or so most of the time not lugging the motor along with also doing early prim case oil changes at 5k miles max vs hd's rec of 10k miles prim oil change can also significantly extend the newer SE comp srvc life too.

I change prim case oil at same time i do motor oil & filter changes @ approx 3,500-4k miles & the prim case oil looks much better having a lot less contamination in it vs @ the 10k miles HD rec's chasnging prim case oil at where it looks horribly contaminated with 2x more miles on it having a lot more metal contamination seen in it along with more clutch plate material seen in it too.

I also change trans oil @ 10k miles max or yr which ever comes 1st vs HD's rec 20k miles for my 09 flhtcu because its easy,cheap to do & cleaner oil = less wear & longer srv'c life.

Scott

Old 10-18-2017, 11:18 PM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I also agree that revving the bike saves the compensator. I have 44000 miles on the original in my bike and I ride it hard. Mine is rarely below 2800 and regularly sees 4500-5000 and power shifts under wide open throttle. I change the primary fluid at 4000 miles when I change the engine oil.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

I changed the one in my ‘09 at 34,000 because it was making a little noise. But I put another standard one in and it has 69,000 on it now. No problems so far

Old 10-19-2017, 05:46 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I have an 08 and I changed the compensator at 75,000, the replacement SE compensator now has 50,000 on it.

Keep in mind that the occasional compensator clank is going to happen. It's basically a shock absorber in the drive train and we've all bottomed out a shock before. That's what the clank is on the compensator. It was pushed to the limit.

The only reason I changed it at 75,000 miles is a combination of it happening almost every ride, I had the money in the bank, and paranoia from reading this forum. I could probably have kept going for many miles.

I'm sure it may have happened to someone but I can't remember reading of an actual failure that left anyone stranded, but there are a million threads about how "crappy" they are.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 304 Likes on 116 Posts

My '09 FLHX is bone stock save for a K&N air filter and Rinehart slip-ons (old style). I now have 54,000 miles and the original compensator. At 30,000 miles and two months out of warranty H-D changed out my starter due to exceedingly difficult hard starts, banging, and grinding. That helped for about 10K miles, but then the hot starts with the banging and clanging returned at about 40K and continue to this day. I'm active duty and I deploy a lot so I haven't had time to change out the compensator. My plan is to convert to the Baker kit if that's what's going to solve my issues. Until then, I just sit on my bike with an embarrassed grimace on my face every time I perform a hot start and she clanks and grinds and bangs away. Still love my bike, though...

Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 AM
wickerham
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost 51,000 on my '09 SG, only about 12,000 of that are from me. Far as I know it's the original comp

Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

My 09 ultra classic has 107k miles. My compensator wasn't replaced until 97k miles.

The following users liked this post:
C908 (10-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Any high mileage compensators on 09 or 10 models?