Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 05:02 PM
00copglide
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default fuel pump fuse blows

So... replaced the stator a couple weeks ago///all was well...bike was running fine....took it to work today.... about a 25 minute interstate ride... in the morning it ran.... fine cruised home this afternoon..ran fine..pulled into a store..as I was coming to a stop it died...try to start it...wont start...have lights but no fuel pump noise...found it to be the fuse for the fuel pump was blown...reolaced it with a spare..it fired right up...go to take off to go home it dies again...no fuel pump noise...now I have to go and trailer it home...wtf??? any suggestions on where to look?? obviously a short somewhere...I hate electrical problems!!

2000 flhtpi 63300 miles...

Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,737 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Check the fuel pump circuit for short to ground and check the ohm's reading on the pump itself as well as how to check that and refer to the shop manual for specs. My guess is the pump is drawing too much.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

As the fuse ruptures on starting and setting off my guess would be pump too. A clamp meter even for a short duration would indicate the current draw of the pump on start if you possess such a thing or know someone that does? If you have an insulation tester you can check to see if the pump windings are breaking down or if there is a short or moisture ingress shorting it out.

Last edited by K9F; 10-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:38 PM
00copglide
Cruiser
Default Update

Update...just got it home..looked in my manual and its actually the ignition fuse that's blowing...not the fuelpump fuse...ssooooo...if its the ignition fuse do u think it would be something to do with the stator/regulator? they are ignition components right?...Geez the bike was running great too!! Always something...I know I should look at the work I just did (stator)...hoping its a coincidental short somewhere else....because it was charging/running fine up until this...what else does the ignition circuit handle? where should I look for issues in this circuit?
Thanks...

Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

In your manual, in the back of the book you should have wiring diagrams. Find which colored wire (grey?) comes out of that IGNITION fuse and start tracing it. Does the fuse blow when the front wheel is turned one way or the other? With a good proper fuse in, and bike idling, check all features- i.e. run/stop switch, blinkers and right hand control stuff etc. Take a peek under the seat around the TSSM module for frayed wiring. Check your ground connections and the fuse holder too. Seems the 40a breaker would open if it were a grounding stator issue. With the fuse holding, finding an intermittent short ain't gonna be quick nor easy.

Your suggestion to go backward and check your work is a good starting point.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:29 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I don't have my manual with me but I'm 99% sure the stator has nothing to do with the ignition system. It's charging system. I think it's highly unlikely the stator is causing your ignition fuse to blow.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM
00copglide
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies...will look into it this weekend and post my findings...hopefully have some findings to post.... 😎

Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a basic start system info that may help you with trouble shooting. Some of the wires in the pic are not colour matched,,so look at the symbols for proper colours .. There is a more detailed wiring diagram in the service manual. The electrical diagnostic manual , (which you no doubt have not got), would help with more advanced trouble shooting procedures.

Good luck ,, as these intermittent electrical problems can do your head in ....

Attached Thumbnails fuel pump fuse blows-harley-starting-system-3.png   fuel pump fuse blows-harley-starting-system-2.png  
The following users liked this post:
K9F (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 04:12 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Great diagram and explanation of theory of the circuit. 00pcopglide IF you can pull the start relay and go through due process of seeing if the fuse still blows that can be quickly discounted if it does. The start relay should you have easy access is also a great place to diagnose from as all the wiring goes through here. My supposition would be that it is most likely to be in the bar switches or ignition switch where water/moisture can easily get in or wear has created a short. Good luck! I love faults like this and the satisfaction of nailing it down too.

Last edited by K9F; 10-21-2017 at 04:15 AM.