Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security for garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:47 AM
ryan_vice
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security for garage

Hey,

I got a brand new 2005' Touring added to my garage. So, I was thinking whether I should get some sort of electronic lock from a dealership or hire a security installation company and get them to set up cameras all over the place?

First priority: Safety
Second priority: Cost

But, I'm really thinking why not both? An extended security system for the garage keeps the car safe as well.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

do you live in a really bad part of town? if not, just take some common sense precautions and you should be fine. plus, i'm assuming you have insurance?

i know you're really proud of your bike, but in reality, it's going on 13 model years old. most thieves are not going after your bike.

and i don't say this callously either. my bike is the same way. sure it's a cvo, but it too, is 5 model years old. they're going to pass my bike up and go for the 2017/18 roadglide special.... unless i make it really easy for them to steal.

congrats on the new purchase. too bad it's gonna be getting cold soon.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan_vice
Hey,

I got a brand new 2005' Touring added to my garage. So, I was thinking whether I should get some sort of electronic lock from a dealership or hire a security installation company and get them to set up cameras all over the place?

First priority: Safety
Second priority: Cost

But, I'm really thinking why not both? An extended security system for the garage keeps the car safe as well.
better yet just hire a roving patrol security guard to travel around with you and the bike. That way it's a very secured 12 yo bike. Just busting your chops a bit but seriously what the other poster said. It's gonna be passed on unless they really need parts for your year bike to match what they have. And no matter what you do unless you sleep on it 24 7 if they want it nothing is gonna stop them from taking it.

Batman

Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Cameras only help you either see it in real time if you are monitoring it, or records the theft.

You can get a basic security system that monitors selected door & windows for a fair price. We have a complete system that monitors everything accessible, that cost $1000 installed. Plus $49 per month monitoring service. You can skip the monitoring, and just have it set off a siren...and release sarin gas.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Just Mike
Road Warrior
Received 3,146 Likes on 992 Posts

Factory alarm set, and ignition locked is all you need as long as your garage is locked. If you are still worried, go get a 5/8” cable and a master lock and chain the bike to something in garage.

If a a real thief wants your bike they will get it regardless of the type of security you surround it with.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought an alarm system that has motion sensors and door contacts, it monitors the house and garage. calls me if there is a breach.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:46 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

How would we know your security needs? In the community I was raised in, you could leave your house and vehicles unlocked, boat tackle laying in the boat, and wallet on the dash of your car and no one would touch it. I advise you use available precautions with your bike, keys put away and fork locked, and address what ever security concerns may seem reasonable based on your neighborhood and clientele, which may fall between the above up to to sleeping near it with a loaded 12 gauge shotgun. You choose.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Keep your garage door closed when you're not moving a vehicle in or out, and keep your insurance paid.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 6 seconds to break into a garage

It only takes a close hanger and 6 seconds to break into a garage that has a door opener. https://youtu.be/LgwJXwKK3f4

Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
Keep your garage door closed when you're not moving a vehicle in or out, and keep your insurance paid.

I know you are proud of your new bike, I think we're all proud of ours too.

But it a 13 year old bike. Why do you think your garage is suddenly less secure? Just lock up and keep insurance.

Quick Reply: Security for garage