Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The coldest trip you have taken

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM
speedy540
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple years ago in April we rode to the Grand Canyon from Kansas City. The first day we rode to Alamosa Co and stayed the night. When we left in the morning it was 27 degrees and then we went over a 10000+ foot pass. It was painfully cold. Luckily my girlfriend packed me a ton of hand warmers. I had them in my gloves, boots, shirt and anywhere else I could get them.

The following users liked this post:
R.Canales (06-27-2022)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 PM
wm9q
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Today! 5 miles 31 degrees. Cloth jacket, half helmet, no gloves. First opportunity to ride the son's Dyna from his house to my garage for winter storage. My respect to those that have ridden colder and farther after that one.

Why??? circumstance!! No other choice because it isn't likely to get any warmer here for a while and this was the first opportunity to get the job done.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Being from Michigan a cold ride is not an uncommon event ... I remember years ago leaving on a mid November evening headed to Camp and making it to Harrison before giving up ... had to get a motel room. Got up in the morning and the thermometer was about as limp as a, well you get the idea. Ht the starter on the Shovel and it just sort of groaned ... pushed it out into the sunlight and walked down the road to a restaurant. A couple of hours later it decided to cooperate. That straight weight 60 didn't like the cold one bit ... neither did I :Z>(

Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by wm9q
Today! 5 miles 31 degrees. Cloth jacket, half helmet, no gloves. First opportunity to ride the son's Dyna from his house to my garage for winter storage. My respect to those that have ridden colder and farther after that one.

Why??? circumstance!! No other choice because it isn't likely to get any warmer here for a while and this was the first opportunity to get the job done.
Close to 20 degrees warmer forecast for tomorrow, last I saw.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

being from Wisconsin and Illinois you would think it would be here in fall or spring but my coldest ride was from east of San Diego to Eagle rider near LAX on a rental bike in February it was only about 30 degrees but i was not prepared for the cold because it always nice in southern California right???? By the way it was 116 degree in Utah on my way home from San Diego this July!!

Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezridr60
A "Toys for Tots", run, December 1st. Lived out in the NW Burbs of Chicago at the time. 55 miles to staging, plus the run, and home. 17°F Never again!😱
I have been doing this ride for the last 12 years. Next one in 13 days. I'm only 22 miles from Chicago, but it is an ALL DAY activity. For me it's from 6:30 to about 3 or 4pm. All outside, no time indoors.
My normal winter schedule is every Sunday for a Blue ***** Brunch ride out to a local (1 hour ride) eating establishment and a New Years Day ride.
Way back in the day before we had temp gages on the bikes (so didn't know what the temp was) I use to do the Chicago By Midnight Tour put on by the Jersey Pine Cruisers. It was along the lake shore in March.....yes it was cold. They later moved it to, I believe, June.
I enjoy riding in cooler temps than I do in 90 degree temps.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:19 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
being from Wisconsin and Illinois you would think it would be here in fall or spring but my coldest ride was from east of San Diego to Eagle rider near LAX on a rental bike in February it was only about 30 degrees but i was not prepared for the cold because it always nice in southern California right???? By the way it was 116 degree in Utah on my way home from San Diego this July!!
Funny you should mention that. When I was in boot camp in San Diego we would wake up with snow on top of the ice plants on some mornings - SAN DIEGO!!?
Then at Camp Pendleton we would have ice everywhere where water should have been in the morning.

Sunny southern California my ***!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 PM
andypocock
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you boys about cold. #

It was 1977 and I'd just turned 16. In England you were only allowed a 50cc bike so that is what I had and this long before all this fancy clothing you have nowadays. You just got the thickest coat you could find and hoped for the best.

Now these little bikes were pretty fast and you could cruise at 40mph. I used to ride down to see my grandfather who lived 100 miles from me. It took about 3 1/2 hours. That's a long old ride on a 50cc bike but it was great, I was on the road and a biker. I loved it. Freedom!

I was still at school and had a Saturday job to pay for the bike so knowing I had to be at work 100 miles away for 9am I figured I'd better set off about 4.30am to leave a bit of extra time as it was winter.

I got outside and it was 16F. God knows what it was with a 40mph wind chill added in but it was cold. I've never seen those roads look so big and 100 miles seem so far away but off I set. It was painful. My face froze before I got to the main road.

After about an hour and way out in the country I came to some lights that changed red ahead of me. I went to close the throttle and pull the clutch in but I was frozen solid and couldn't move. I was stuck at 40mph and I sailed on through them. Thankfully nobody was about at that time of the morning.

It was another hour before I passed through a large built up area and warmed enough to be about to move my hands again and slow down.

In the end I made good time and got to work with a hour to spare. However I couldn't get off the bike as I was still frozen in place so I just sat out the back and blew the horn until the guys in the butchers shop next door heard me and came down the fire escape and lifted me off my bike, carried me into their shop and put me on a chair in front of the fire.

I was defrosted in time for work. I did a full shift in the store, went home, washed and changed and then went out partying. That was 40 years ago. Any part of that day would finish me off now but it's good to look back and smile at the resilience of youth.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Name:  photo884.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  33.3 KB

We have a winner!

Old 11-20-2017, 11:07 PM
ajclassic
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Attachment 577880

We have a winner!
LOL... Brave as hell right there... or just plain crazy, but awesome and on a 50cc no less. DAMN!!

Quick Reply: The coldest trip you have taken