Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking advice regarding dirt roads

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:08 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by GlideDriver
That's what I've been thinking but I'm scared of rock chips or damage. I ride most days and 3 miles per ride seems risky.

I thought maybe some clear bra or protective coating.
At roughly 10 mph or so on dirt, you're not going to have any rock chips or real damage of any real significance. These bikes aren't made out of beer cans.

The following users liked this post:
Peter Griffin (11-27-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

I'd suggest an undercoating like they use on cars and trucks, but on the inside of the fenders. I live on a dirt and gravel road and will be doing that sometime over the winter months. My driveway is nicely packed gravel.

As for riding on that chit, take it slow as in 15mph or less. One thing you will notice is the gravel seems to disappear where the cars and trucks run making it fairly smooth unless there are some speed demons. Then beware of the pot holes. But, beware of rides after a heavy morning dew or rain. You will need to ride the higher of the two paths left by the cars and trucks. The low side is usually slickery as hell.

And as was mentioned earlier. DUST! It gets into everything, onto everything. The drier the weather, the more dust there is. It doesn't just have an affect on the bike, but also the home. I planted a chitload of arborvitae along the front of my property to try to keep the dust clouds from reaching the house. The taller and wider they grow, the more dust is blocked. They also act as a sound barrier, wind break, and give some nice privacy.

GlideDriver (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:48 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I feel for you man. The way I like to take care of my bikes and cars I could never live on a dirt road.

And if circumstances dictated that I had to live there, I'd simply give up on trying to keep any vehicle clean beyond hosing it off once in a while.

GlideDriver (11-18-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,250 Likes on 813 Posts

That's what I've been thinking but I'm scared of rock chips or damage. I ride most days and 3 miles per ride seems risky.

clear bra or protective coating on what? Dirt roads won't chip your tank or such, so they don't need protection. The frame and engine and oil tank down there are tough. I've hit mine hard on rocks before with nothing more than some scrapes. That's not something you're going to do on a dirt road.

dry days will be dusty. Wet days will be sticky. Jackets and chaps get filthy and are darn hard to clean well. Especially if they are leather.

While gravel roads don't change dramatically when wet, true dirt roads sure do. And if the dirt has a lot of clay in it, oye! That can be some exhausting riding.

personally, I'd gladly live on a dirt road.

GlideDriver (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 04:23 AM
H20loo
Tourer
Received 264 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe 3m on the front of your bags. Otherwise, just ride with the required care. Dirt washes off so you may need to clean your bike more often- I bet the property is worth it.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:25 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I’m guessing if it is a maintained road there are folks like me running way over 10mph throwing rock around and it will be crazy slippery and/or muddy in the rain and snow. I’d think about a dual sport at least. I only had a 200’ gravel driveway for 20 years. Fell on it twice and picked rocks out of the drive belt more than once. A little touch up paint is a good idea too.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Big Jim Daddy
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Rock chips scare you?

Jesus.....

Peter Griffin (11-27-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 01:34 PM
GlideDriver
Cruiser
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Daddy
Rock chips scare you?

Jesus.....
It's still a brandy new RGU and you know how it is til you get a few of them chips. I'm trying to slow the inevitable.

Keeping the damn thing clean is part of my therapy, I find it relaxing and feel good after.

The place I'm looking at is 5 acres with the closest neighbors a few miles away. That's good for me too.

Last edited by GlideDriver; 11-18-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Not to be a smartass here but worrying about a little dirt from a couple mile road is seriously a first world problem. You'd have heart palpitations if you'd have seen some the places I've had my shovel. As been said these things ain't made of beer cans.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
AlCherry (11-19-2017), Peter Griffin (11-27-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 02:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
You can make a skid plate out of the likes of an old aluminum road sign and hose clamp it to the frame. But honestly, I haven't found that necessary. Especially on regular dirt roads.

Some adventurous riding on my Road King
Looks like a party run we used to attend in southern Missouri, had a steam to cross and dirt track up a decent hill to get to get to it. Good times.

Quick Reply: Seeking advice regarding dirt roads