Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Wheel bearing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisharley
hmm..im sure they get soaked while riding in rain so I don't see the difference.
I believe it has to do with the higher pressure

Old 11-22-2017, 05:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by sh4325
I recently read a piece in one the the motorcycle mags, they were talking about wheel bearing failures/replacements. They said to never spray a pressure washer/car wash wand on the sealed wheel bearings. The water will enter the bearings. And we all know what happen to a bearing when water gets into the grease. Had a boat for years. Backing the trailer in and out of the water always gave the problems with the bearings.
We've been warned about that problem since shortly after the pressure washer was invented! What is so frustrating about the current 'sealed' ball races is that the darned things don't last long despite taking great care of them. Haven't needed to change my tapered roller Evo bearings since buying it new in 1990.....

Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 AM
sh4325
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Taking the tip of a 2500 PSI pressure washer to the front wheel, and it will for sure hit the bearing, is no where near the same as riding ion the rain.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:13 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
Thanks for the info on the tools. All I had seen was the JIMS and Heartland and they are well north of $99. I'll look into those.
There's no arguing that the Pit Posse VT102 Harley Davidson Wheel Bearing Remover And Installer Tool for under $80 is a great deal. A number of the other motorcycle tool vendors that sell this tool are more than double this price! But keep in mind there are differences in the quality of the tools and the material they are made out of. As was mentioned by Imold, some of the tool vendors include a bearing. Also, place of manufacture and warranty are other key differences you may want to consider. I'm a fan of the tools from George's Garage. USA made and lifetime warranty. I've had an issue with a George's Garage tool in the past, and it was promptly replaced. In regards to a wheel bearing remover and installer tool, George's Garage tool is made with heat treated steel. I wonder what material the Pit Posse uses? Then again, maybe that isn't an important consideration for the home mechanic.

http://www.georges-garage.com/index.html

Standard disclaimer:
I have no affiliation with this company. Just a satisfied user of the products.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've done several bearings with the Pit Posse, and some were really tight. Handled them with no problems. But like I said before, grease everything on the tool that rubs other metal, and I'd grease the threads on a version with the bearing, too, you can really feel the difference in friction and bind. I tried the first bearing dry, took a hell of a lot of torque to move it a little. Greased the tool, way better.

It's a lot easier when you have a tire changer to hold the wheel steady, too.

Originally Posted by memphisharley
hmm..im sure they get soaked while riding in rain so I don't see the difference.
I've had trail bike bearings under water with none getting in the bearing. I've found pressure washed bearings with sand in them - they not only force water past the seals, but grit, too. I wouldn't even hit them direct with a garden hose spray. Those seals are just flexible plastic, doesn't take a lot of pressure to unseat them, but they handle rain fine.