Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Wheel bearing thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:50 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
Where did you get your tools?
Google Pitposse wheel bearing puller/installer. That's the one that I run and it works well. Has three different size collars that come with it. Runs about $99

The following users liked this post:
penmaker (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:53 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts
penmaker (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:48 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,080 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Where did you get your tools?
On eBay.......

I really like that it came with a case for everything.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-SEAL....c100005.m2219

Last edited by MotoJockey; 11-21-2017 at 09:50 AM.
penmaker (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Just an observation on Pit Posse style bearing puller/installers - they work very well, probably the best, but some have thrust bearings, some (Pit Posse itself) just have flat washers. The bearings are nice, but you get a similar reduction in effort if you just grease the washers and nuts that turn against each other. I also grease the tool's threaded portion for less friction. This makes a big difference when you're pulling a tight bearing, and Harley bearings should be very tight in the wheel bore.

Installing, you can freeze the bearing first, shrinking it slightly, and that can make it easier to squeeze in. I lubing the bearing sides and wheel bore when installalling. I use anti seize to reduce chances the bearings will get any corrosion binding it in the wheel, which I have run into on older bikes.

penmaker (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Thanks for the info on the tools. All I had seen was the JIMS and Heartland and they are well north of $99. I'll look into those. I've had the dealer check mine and they say they are good. I've still got ESP coverage so I was trying to get them replaced under that. I guess I need to pull my wheels and check them myself and replace them.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:40 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Just an observation on Pit Posse style bearing puller/installers - they work very well, probably the best, but some have thrust bearings, some (Pit Posse itself) just have flat washers. The bearings are nice, but you get a similar reduction in effort if you just grease the washers and nuts that turn against each other. I also grease the tool's threaded portion for less friction. This makes a big difference when you're pulling a tight bearing, and Harley bearings should be very tight in the wheel bore.

Installing, you can freeze the bearing first, shrinking it slightly, and that can make it easier to squeeze in. I lubing the bearing sides and wheel bore when installalling. I use anti seize to reduce chances the bearings will get any corrosion binding it in the wheel, which I have run into on older bikes.
All very good tips.
It's not just straightforward, but with a little creativity and using the old bearings you can pull and replace the rear wheel pulley bearings with the Pit Posse.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Thanks for the info on the tools. All I had seen was the JIMS and Heartland and they are well north of $99. I'll look into those. I've had the dealer check mine and they say they are good. I've still got ESP coverage so I was trying to get them replaced under that. I guess I need to pull my wheels and check them myself and replace them.
if you're really interested in picking up the tools, there's a 'used' set on amazon for $60 with free prime shipping. if you have to have new, $75.72 with free shipping.

i'd jump on the used set myself, but don't really have the funds to do so right now.

Attached Thumbnails Another Wheel bearing thread-screen-shot-2017-11-21-at-1.06.18-pm.png  
Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 412 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by L88
All very good tips.
It's not just straightforward, but with a little creativity and using the old bearings you can pull and replace the rear wheel pulley bearings with the Pit Posse.
do tell...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM
sh4325
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I recently read a piece in one the the motorcycle mags, they were talking about wheel bearing failures/replacements. They said to never spray a pressure washer/car wash wand on the sealed wheel bearings. The water will enter the bearings. And we all know what happen to a bearing when water gets into the grease. Had a boat for years. Backing the trailer in and out of the water always gave the problems with the bearings.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 412 Likes on 317 Posts

hmm..im sure they get soaked while riding in rain so I don't see the difference.

Quick Reply: Another Wheel bearing thread