Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide windshield

Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 AM
Kwlambright
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electra Glide windshield

I get a lot of helmet/head shake on my 18 Electra Glide and looking for upgrade my windshield. Size and brand/type everyone using?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

I like the Longride Shields, best selection of heights and best prices. That said, what model? If you don’t have lowers, the buffeting is coming from under the faring. Lowers or fork fangs will alleviate almost all of the buffeting.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Plenty of threads about this, many under 'buffetting'. Well worth spending a little time checking through recent threads. As with so many aspects of riding our bikes, the actual source of a problem is not always what it first seems to be, as Hasher points out.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Since you said it was an 18 ElectraGlide, I'm going to assume you have lowers and have eliminated them as a source of the problem. I've tried several different windshield brands over the years and like Freedom Shields the best. They cost a little more, but they are thicker, no distortion, come in several heights & choices of tint, you can use RainX on them, plus you can 'test ride' the windshield and return it if not happy with it.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:44 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

For the price long ride shields are hard to beat.you can also return L.R.S. if you don't remove the protective place cover.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:22 PM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,022 Likes on 197 Posts

Probably a stupid question.... Did you open your dash vent? It is suppose to help with the buffeting. So they say anyways. I am vertically challenged and ride Ultra Limited Low, and I don't feel much buffeting in either position.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

May be tell folks your height and they might be start to estimate, tho it ain't the only factor.

Helmet choice is also a factor. We were discussing it recently.

The more information you can give, the better an answer you will get. Ditto, your bike specifications.

You've probably got people here with more than a 12'' different in height, how is knowing what they use going to help you?

On the other hand, it may just be Texas has more lumpy air.

(Have had good customer service from Freedom).

Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Death Valley Ultra
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Well guys I tried to bring my long ride WS back to new and messed it all up. Ordered a new short re curve smoke color shield from Amazon for 18 bucks. I had no buffeting at all with a long ride WS. I will be amazed if this short one does anything to send the wind over my head. If it does work I will like it because I do not have to look thru it. I also wear a full face helmet anyway because that is what I own. I have two older 600cc sport bikes where the WS did nothing.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Kwlambright
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield

guess I needed to give more information, work nights and always groggy, am 6 foot and stock windshield seems to hit me at the chin on height. The vent works good but still have buffeting on my helmet. I measured from the middle bolt to the top of the shield and got 10.5 inches total. I started looking at long ride shields as they look well made and actually a pretty good price

Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Plenty of threads about this, many under 'buffetting'. Well worth spending a little time checking through recent threads. As with so many aspects of riding our bikes, the actual source of a problem is not always what it first seems to be, as Hasher points out.
Yep to this, says a lot!

Originally Posted by Kwlambright
guess I needed to give more information, work nights and always groggy, am 6 foot and stock windshield seems to hit me at the chin on height. The vent works good but still have buffeting on my helmet. I measured from the middle bolt to the top of the shield and got 10.5 inches total. I started looking at long ride shields as they look well made and actually a pretty good price
10.5 stock windshield?
I know I have a 2014 SGS but didn't know the bikes were that much different, I thought my stock was like 6 inches. Windshield isn't a cure all for buffeting, again, a search here should help with/add to the confusion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electra Glide windshield