Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon and gauge color change

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon and gauge color change

Just making this post to put a little information out there for the next guy, it's NOT a how-to. I couldn't find any info on what diodes were needed to change to color in the stock radio.

The gauges are simple enough, worst part is disassembly. There's a reasonable video here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffP1...ature=youtu.be ) to get them apart. Once apart it's 5 PLCC2 diodes in your color of choice for each gauge face. 2 more for the odometer display and 3 for each of the needles. If you want to change any of the other indicator diodes, you'll need PLCC4 diodes. I chose to leave them alone.

The radio comes apart pretty easy, faceplate is held on with clips only then a few screws to pull the circuit board out. 4 tabs hold the display to the board then you can swing it out of the way to see the 26 leds that illuminate it. The 15 leds that illuminate each button are very easy to change.

The LEDs required for the radio buttons are: https://everlightamericas.com/round-...pl3527wa3.html

The LEDs required for the faceplate illumination are: https://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...WY87CT1U13K8LZ

You can obviously choose a different color, though I'd make sure they're at least as bright (mcd rating) as the ones I listed. The faceplate leds I used are 560mcd and I'd prefer a little brighter. I'm happy with my turnout, but I might try these next time. I didn't buy them based on the very high color temperature but I think they could be good.

Again, just putting some info out there as I had to tear into my radio and then do some google-fu to find the diodes I needed.

Attached Thumbnails Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171201_153329120.jpg   Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171201_153356762.jpg   Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171124_104850566.jpg   Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171124_110352275.jpg   Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171201_092426521.jpg  

Harmon Kardon and gauge color change-img_20171201_103917000.jpg  

Last edited by caulk04; 12-01-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:59 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

If you're not too handy doing work like this, there are two companys out there that can do this for you - Gaugemods.com & Gaugemods.net. I don't think either one does radio color changes, but Ironcrossaudio.com does.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:23 PM
Front Sight
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice job! You must have the patience of a saint. That looks like a very long and tedious job.

Last edited by Front Sight; 12-02-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 PM
caulk04
Road Master

It's not that awful bad if you've done soldering before and are comfortable. I'm far from an expert and my tools are a cheap adjustable iron with fine tips, fine flux core solder, solder sucker and the most important, GOOD fine tweezers. I've done my whole Grand Cherokee dash in white LED also which was much the same process so the $40 or so in tools has paid off.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:05 AM
Dguy
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I found the easiest way to change the color of my Harmon Kardon radio was with a product called Kenwood. I believe there are others as well...lol.
Just kidding man....you have way more patience than I do!

Old 12-05-2017, 05:07 AM
caulk04
Road Master

Agreed, that would certainly be easier, but I looked around quite a bit at other head units and kept coming back to the fact that I didn't mind the stock radios functions and performance...so $20 or so in LEDs spruced it up for me.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:43 AM
freonKing
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leds....

Originally Posted by caulk04
It's not that awful bad if you've done soldering before and are comfortable. I'm far from an expert and my tools are a cheap adjustable iron with fine tips, fine flux core solder, solder sucker and the most important, GOOD fine tweezers. I've done my whole Grand Cherokee dash in white LED also which was much the same process so the $40 or so in tools has paid off.
just was wondering if you could help us out by finding which leds would work in different colors. I have been able to find some but they don’t have exact specs of the ones you used.

i have done the gauges blue with white needles and installed aftermarket radio but would like to go back to original radio.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated......Stuck in a rabbit hole! 😂

Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM
freonKing
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caulk04
Just making this post to put a little information out there for the next guy, it's NOT a how-to. I couldn't find any info on what diodes were needed to change to color in the stock radio.

The gauges are simple enough, worst part is disassembly. There's a reasonable video here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffP1...ature=youtu.be ) to get them apart. Once apart it's 5 PLCC2 diodes in your color of choice for each gauge face. 2 more for the odometer display and 3 for each of the needles. If you want to change any of the other indicator diodes, you'll need PLCC4 diodes. I chose to leave them alone.

The radio comes apart pretty easy, faceplate is held on with clips only then a few screws to pull the circuit board out. 4 tabs hold the display to the board then you can swing it out of the way to see the 26 leds that illuminate it. The 15 leds that illuminate each button are very easy to change.

The LEDs required for the radio buttons are: https://everlightamericas.com/round-...pl3527wa3.html

The LEDs required for the faceplate illumination are: https://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...WY87CT1U13K8LZ

You can obviously choose a different color, though I'd make sure they're at least as bright (mcd rating) as the ones I listed. The faceplate leds I used are 560mcd and I'd prefer a little brighter. I'm happy with my turnout, but I might try these next time. I didn't buy them based on the very high color temperature but I think they could be good.

Again, just putting some info out there as I had to tear into my radio and then do some google-fu to find the diodes I needed.

did you have to change resistors?

Old 06-05-2018, 05:47 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow ... Nice Job !!

Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM
caulk04
Road Master

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/...=1&pageSize=25

Look through that search for your button illumination, try applying a filter by the color you want.

Last edited by caulk04; 07-03-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon and gauge color change