Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Air vs Premium Shocks (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1210681-air-vs-premium-shocks.html)

DBLX 12-11-2017 05:15 AM

Air vs Premium Shocks

I'm thinking about swapping my rear air shocks for the HD premium shocks. What are your thoughts and experience? I know there probably is better shocks than the HD shocks. In general, is this an improvement over the air? I think so but would love to hear all opinions.

TIA,
MJ

PFWiz 12-11-2017 06:45 AM

HD Premium shocks while nothing to write home about are much better than the old stock air shocks (what isn't?).

That said I will be replacing the premium shocks on my new CVO as soon as it arrives with my rebuilt Ohlin 3-3s.

Want to buy some unused premium shocks? :icon_naughty:

Just Me 12-11-2017 06:56 AM

Like pfwiz said..
Just stay away from the 12" as not much better than the air, less travel=rougher ride.
Lots of conflicting ways on how to adjust. I always thought the knob was a gas valve to adjust how fast rebound was but their nothing but a fancy way to stiffen/soften the spring so, unless you weight 300+ pounds set them as loose as possible which is without any slop about 1 turn. If you go by the book you wont like the results.
If your under 200# I would suggest not even considering them.

OldMike 12-11-2017 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me (Post 16899492)
Like pfwiz said..
Just stay away from the 12" as not much better than the air, less travel=rougher ride.
Lots of conflicting ways on how to adjust. I always thought the knob was a gas valve to adjust how fast rebound was but their nothing but a fancy way to stiffen/soften the spring so, unless you weight 300+ pounds set them as loose as possible which is without any slop about 1 turn. If you go by the book you wont like the results.
If your under 200# I would suggest not even considering them.

Ditto!
The homework has been done, skip to a aftermarket shock.

skydude426 12-11-2017 07:41 AM

I have nothing else to compare to other than the stock air shock and the HD premium shocks so I can't speak for how great aftermarket shocks are.

I replaced my stock 13" air shocks on my 2012 Ultra with 12" HD premium shocks I bought at a big discount on eBay.

The difference is night and day. I've found it's all in the adjustment. If I went with the factory suggested adjustment for my weight, the shocks were too stiff. You have to go for a ride with your left bag off so you can easily stop and make an adjustment.

Once I found the sweat spot for riding solo and with my wife on board, I love them and so does my wife.

I'm sure there's better aftermarket shocks out there no doubt. For the money spent I'm very happy with the HD premiums. I personally don't agree with those who say the 12" premiums are no better than the stock air shocks. That hasn't been my experience at all.

Sent from my iPad using IB AutoGroup

EasTexUltra12 12-11-2017 07:58 AM

The ride is better with the premium shocks, but not worth the hassle IMO. If I had it to do over again, I either wouldn't bother, or go with another option. Adjusting the OEM shocks to account for a passenger and/or luggage was pretty simple. Add or subtract air. Premium shocks are a PITA to adjust. You've got to take the left saddle bag off to turn the knob.

David

DBLX 12-11-2017 08:17 AM

All good data! I'm sure there are better aftermarket shocks available. I too, grabbed a pair off eBay. For the price I paid, I figured it would be a good test bed worse case scenario. What's the pita part of adjustment? Just a knob(dampening) adjustment, correct?

grbrown 12-11-2017 09:57 AM

A feature of the umpteen shocks threads around HDF is that few members tell us if they ride solo or 2-up! If you ride only or mainly solo, there are plenty of shocks out there that will be better than stock air shocks. If Mrs DBLX rides with you, the rules change. That is because she sits right over the shocks and gets a different riding experience back there, also many shocks cannot deal with the additional load (no offence intended!). If you want her to be comfortable the choice of decent shocks is much shorter.

HarleyBP 12-11-2017 10:08 AM

Lots of aftermarket options that are MUCH better than the HD product. Legend, Ohlins, Pro-Action, Super Shox, Progressive, to name a few. Plenty of excellent threads in the forum if you do some searching.

grbrown 12-11-2017 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyBP (Post 16899993)
Lots of aftermarket options that are MUCH better than the HD product. Legend, Ohlins, Pro-Action, Super Shox, Progressive, to name a few. Plenty of excellent threads in the forum if you do some searching.

And it is actually cheaper and quicker to buy a good quality set straight off, instead of buying a set of cheap Brand A and being disappointed, then cheap Brand B, etc, etc!