Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Premium Shock Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 AM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Harley Premium Shock Question

Thinking about upgrading to the premium shocks. I dont want to appear stupid, but how the hell does turning the adjustment **** on the left shock make any change on the right one? I mean like what kinda ride would you get adjusting just one side? Have done some looking online and I see nothing connecting the two, so....am I missing something?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:02 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by BackRoader
Thinking about upgrading to the premium shocks. I dont want to appear stupid, but how the hell does turning the adjustment **** on the left shock make any change on the right one? I mean like what kinda ride would you get adjusting just one side? Have done some looking online and I see nothing connecting the two, so....am I missing something?
Nope, not missing anything. All preload adjustments are for the left shock only. Right side has no adjustments.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:26 AM
Wodan
Banned
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BackRoader
Have done some looking online and I see nothing connecting the two, so....am I missing something?
Only in Harley Land, two entirely different shocks for either side and only one adjustable.

For sure, I guess, both the engineers and the lawyers must have passed them, but logically it screams all wrong to me. Never tried them. Spent my money on another brand. Figured anything with an H-D logo was made by someone else and only added a trademark fee. Ohlins start around the same price, so I'd try searching for some of the other suspension topics on the forum and elsewhere.

I also prefer simple designs, less to go wrong long term.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Nothing wrong with using a different design on each shock - it's increasingly common. The Ohlins cartridges in my 1990 Glide are different left and right, separating the functions of the damping. All good!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

A friend describes it as "One go up, da udder go down, adjust 'em wrong and yo butt go BAM".

Old 12-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

You can find Premium shocks for sale all the time, there is a set on Toledo CL for $150 and most are around $250, Rather than spend $600 plus, I went with Premium shocks and for me, they were a 100% improvement I am sticking with them.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

If your 200 + lbs and ride two up the premium shocks can be okay.

If your under 200 lbs and a solo rider not so good.

I am the second scenario so I keep the tour pak on with weight in both bags and the tour pak to smooth it out.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM
SteveUltra
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
You can find Premium shocks for sale all the time, there is a set on Toledo CL for $150 and most are around $250, Rather than spend $600 plus, I went with Premium shocks and for me, they were a 100% improvement I am sticking with them.
I have also seen these shocks for sale for a reasonable price, I would like to replace my air shocks.
Does anyone know if the 13 inch version of these will fit on a 2008 bike?
the Harley catalog has them listed for 2009 and up bikes..
I would think the mounting hole diameter is the same, but i am not sure if the adjusting **** on the one shock will fit behind the 2008 saddle bag.
I ride a 2008 Ultra Classic

Thank You SteveL

Old 12-13-2017, 09:39 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

yes, physically, they will fit. the year stipulation is because in 2009, they made the swingers beefier. a lesser swingers 'could' have a tendency to flex a little which could introduce wobble and other undesirable ride characteristics.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skratch
yes, physically, they will fit. the year stipulation is because in 2009, they made the swingers beefier. a lesser swingers 'could' have a tendency to flex a little which could introduce wobble and other undesirable ride characteristics.
Very good point. I upgraded my 1990 swingarm to a 2007 one, with later wheel and brake, to get improved wheel control with my upgraded shocks. Might not be a good idea to use H-D Premiums on an earlier bike.

Quick Reply: Harley Premium Shock Question