Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going lighter

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:11 PM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thinking about going lighter

At 71 I am noticing that my Ultra is getting heavier by the day. I love the bike and it's given me many years of comfortable riding, but I think if I want to continue enjoying motorcycling I need to go to a lighter bike. Here's my delimma--would I be happier with a Road King or a Fat Boy. I like them both and the local dealer has a brand new leftover 2017 Fat Boy and a 2016 Road King with only 2400 miles. They are asking the same price for both. I like the Road King for a lot of reasons, but it's white and teal in color--not my favorite. The Fat Boy is red (my favorite color) but I would be giving up saddle bags, windshield etc. What would you do if you had to make the choice?

Old 12-23-2017, 04:16 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Road King, there is a reason they are called that.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

You and I both know that RK is a lot more bike and the way to go. Just like what was said before there’s a reason it’s called Road King. You’ll get use to the color. IMO
Good Luck and lets us know.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,378 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayking
At 71 I am noticing that my Ultra is getting heavier by the day. I love the bike and it's given me many years of comfortable riding, but I think if I want to continue enjoying motorcycling I need to go to a lighter bike. Here's my delimma--would I be happier with a Road King or a Fat Boy. I like them both and the local dealer has a brand new leftover 2017 Fat Boy and a 2016 Road King with only 2400 miles. They are asking the same price for both. I like the Road King for a lot of reasons, but it's white and teal in color--not my favorite. The Fat Boy is red (my favorite color) but I would be giving up saddle bags, windshield etc. What would you do if you had to make the choice?
The Road King has the touring frame... put a removable windshield on it and it should have the same ride as the Ultra and be almost as comfortable...

The Fat Boy has the old softail frame. It will sit lower and ride a little different than the touring frame. I have taken many trips on my '03 Heritage and it was very comfortable.... just different.

I have found the biggest comfort factor is the windshield. Even if you don't have a full fairing/radio/etc... just having a wind break makes a big difference when you are spending hours in the saddle...

Whichever you choose, I'd add a windshield.. then of course, seat & suspension as needed...

good luck..

Old 12-23-2017, 04:35 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

I have the same thoughts. If you are going to go softail, I would definitely try the 18’s, before buying a 17. I’vs ridden a couple and the new frames and suspension are great. The biggest factor is comfort as mentioned above. There is a big difference in wind protection.
The heritage seemed quite nice and the Fatboy I rode was very stable. I’d like to get out on the sport glide but I think that will have to wait til spring.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:50 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Honestly, the RK isn't that much lighter than your ultra. 100 pounds lighter isn't going to make your next motorcycle a panacea. What you need for long term riding is something in the 500 lb range. This leaves Harley out, unless you tolerate the "Street" line of bikes.

You might have more success if you moved over to Triumph as their bikes weigh 3/5ths what a Harley does. I don't like recommending a marque that isn't the brand that the forum concentrates on, but, a lighter bike WILL keep you "in the wind" longer.

Good luck with what you choose. Ride safe!

s-glide76 (12-25-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:05 PM
harleyrider4300
Tourer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Mini bagger. Sportster

I was in the same boat. I ended up trading my road glide ultra for a 2016 XL1200C. I added a mustang seat and backrest, tall boy handlebars, analog tach/digital speedometer, cycle visions bagger tail mounts and hd touring hard saddlebags (same bags as were on my road glide), detachable luggage rack and back rest. Took the Harley windshield attachment hardware and had a local company build my windshield to my specs, then had it put on the Harley hardware and mounted to my bike.
Bottom line, it cost me less than a new soft tail, fits me perfect, has all the equipment that I want, and the best part weighs 650 lbs as equipped..(a 250 lb decrease in weight). I’m very very happy with my ride

Last edited by harleyrider4300; 12-23-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are considering a fat boy, you might want to look at a 2018 sport glide. They have bags and a mini fairing and the weight is less than the touring frame RK.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:00 PM
pappashelby
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also 71 and in the same boat. Took the tourpak off and it made a big difference

Campy Roadie (12-23-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Road King would be my choice.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going lighter