Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Chopped tour pack options for 2006 Road King (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1214138-chopped-tour-pack-options-for-2006-road-king.html)

Rattlehead73 01-11-2018 11:21 AM

Chopped tour pack options for 2006 Road King

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a chopped tour pack for my 06 FLHR. I have a Reckless fairing and am wanting to set it up with the "street king" look. The Razor seems too small, and the King too big so I'm thinking the chopped pack would be perfect for what I want to do.

I already have the detachable mount and was looking for one that will bolt right up. Apparently the one that fits my bike (53111-96DH) has been discontinued. I called the local HD dealer and they said they can't get it anymore. Said its obsolete, but he told me the newer version for 2014+ models (53000402DH) would fit but would need a couple of the holes re-drilled. I searched online but haven't seen anyone using this new pack on an older bike. My main worry is that the backrest would sit in the proper location, as in not too far forward or back. Anyone here using the new 2014+ tour pack on an older bike with the detachable mount?

I also considered some other options like cheaper ones from Mutazu (sp?) and Advan Black. Of those two I like the Advan Black better since it looks like it has the newer style latch, better paint job and comes with the steel plate. Reviews that I've read have been mixed though. I've seen a few reviews which said the latch wouldn't stay shut unless locked, so I emailed Advan Black about it and he said the problem had been fixed with new hardware. If any of you have one of these I'd like to hear your thoughts concerning quality.

I've been searching Craigslist, Ebay and classifieds for a nice deal on a used OEM one too, but haven't seen any chopped ones in vivid black. I don't want to have to pay for a paint job.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Softy 103 01-11-2018 12:43 PM

I too have been looking into a chopped tour pack for my 2012 street glide, but Advanblack doesn't do my color, so its cheaper or just as cheap for me to purchase a genuine H-D tour pack and have it painted, probably all for the better as I figure the H-D is of a better quality anyway.

bigskyroadglide 01-11-2018 05:12 PM

I think if you are discounting the advan black your are if ignoring the obvious

quality is high, paint is good, price is reasonable

it's as good as or equal quality to HD

I have both, cannot tell difference

skratch 01-11-2018 08:30 PM

the 2013 and down packs should all fit the same.

the 2014 and up packs will work, but be aware that the new chopped pack is actually bigger than the old king pack. so if you're going for sleek, might want to think about it. also, if you have the old style saddlebags and you use the rushmore tour pack, you will need to put a spacer under it to lift it up enough to give your bag lids room to swing.

as far as fitting on your mount, it isn't anything to drill new holes in the mounting base if you have to. i'm short, so i drilled new holes on my base in order to move the tour pack closer to me so i can use the backrest. (i have it configured for solo). works great, and it isn't like anyone can see the holes anyway....

Softy 103 01-12-2018 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by skratch (Post 16989576)
the 2013 and down packs should all fit the same.

the 2014 and up packs will work, but be aware that the new chopped pack is actually bigger than the old king pack. so if you're going for sleek, might want to think about it. also, if you have the old style saddlebags and you use the rushmore tour pack, you will need to put a spacer under it to lift it up enough to give your bag lids room to swing.

as far as fitting on your mount, it isn't anything to drill new holes in the mounting base if you have to. i'm short, so i drilled new holes on my base in order to move the tour pack closer to me so i can use the backrest. (i have it configured for solo). works great, and it isn't like anyone can see the holes anyway....

According to the measurements given by H-D the new chopped tour pack is NOT as big as the old king pack, they give a side by side comparison and actually say that the new chopped pack is the same size as the old chopped pack, just looks more streamlined instead of boxy

skratch 01-12-2018 10:13 AM

the old p&a catalogs used to give the cubic foot measurement and the new chopped had more cubic ft of storage than the old king. the new 2018 catalog doesn't give that measurement any more, just the physical dimensions.

using the catalog measurements, the cubic foot of storage does work out to where the old king is still bigger than the chopped, so i'm guessing typo on hd part in the old catalog. however, the new chopped is .6'' wider, and 1.0 inch longer than the old chopped. same height. so not much bigger, but it is bigger.

Rattlehead73 01-12-2018 12:35 PM

I called and spoke with another HD dealer today about fitting a Rushmore chopped pack on my 06 FLHR. He said the biggest concern will be that the 14+ pack is longer and that the old style detachable mount wouldn't offer enough support. So, I guess I'm leaning toward the Mutazu chopped pack since it's basically a direct copy of the discontinued chopped pack which was designed for my bike (53111-96DH). Of all the ebay racks, Mutazu seems to have the best reviews. It should bolt right on, plus, they offer a premium hardware option. If it turns out to be a POS at least I'm not out too much money.

Thanks for all the replies!

Softy 103 01-12-2018 12:36 PM

Page 459 in the new 2018 parts catalog gives dimensions and cubic inches of the tour packs, the new chopped pack is over 1000 cubic inches smaller than the new king pack, and just shy of 1000 cubic inches smaller than the old king pack

Softy 103 01-12-2018 12:42 PM

The new chopped pack is only 1" longer than the old one as far as I can see, can't think that would be a deal breaker!

skratch 01-12-2018 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a copy of the page from the p&a catalog showing that the new chopped has more cubic ft than the old king.....