Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash Bar And Sliders hitting

Old 06-27-2021, 12:47 PM
rsalway
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crash Bar And Sliders hitting

I just blacked out the frontend of my ‘15 Street Glide. It has an aftermarket crash bar (similar to a Linby) that was on it when I bought the bike. At full turn, the crash bars are hitting the sliders. It is equal on both sides. I already put a small ding in on of my new sliders and don’t want it to keep happening. I did buy some rubber bumpers to hopefully keep the sliders safe for now. Can anyone tell by these pictures why this is happening and give me advise on how to fix the problem? The only thing that jumps out to me is that this bar doesn’t fit tight to the notch out area on the frame. Could that be the problem? How could it be remedied if it is? I am attaching some pics of the old chrome ones and the wheel turned to see the new ones and the crash bar.

Old 06-27-2021, 12:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

If your front end is OEM and has not been modified/changed, it's either the wrong engine guard for your bike year and/or model, or it's a bad design......

I've had engine guards on 4 of my 7 Harleys, and none have made contact with any part of the front end..... I used HD engine guards on all of them..

The following users liked this post:
Vec (06-27-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 01:52 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Exact same issue with my son in law's '16 Streetglide with a similar aftermarket engine guard. He used a thick washer between the guard's top tab and the frame. This moved the guard tight into the semi-circular cutout in the frame. As I recall, he had to use a bit of silicon adhesive to hold the washer in place on the top tab until he could get the bolt started. Not sure if he had to use a longer bolt.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:18 PM
rsalway
Advanced

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Exact same issue with my son in law's '16 Streetglide with a similar aftermarket engine guard. He used a thick washer between the guard's top tab and the frame. This moved the guard tight into the semi-circular cutout in the frame. As I recall, he had to use a bit of silicon adhesive to hold the washer in place on the top tab until he could get the bolt started. Not sure if he had to use a longer bolt.
Did this fix the issue? Can you get pics of the washer he used?

Old 06-27-2021, 05:18 PM
Taxgod4u
Road Master
Received 966 Likes on 439 Posts

Is it installed correctly? IIRC, The oem crash bar on my '14 SGS top tab went behind the top frame mount and not in front. Could yours be improperly mounted?

Old 06-27-2021, 05:22 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,189 Likes on 2,822 Posts

I’m with Hattitude. Wrong bars for your bike or year

Old 06-27-2021, 05:29 PM
rsalway
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taxgod4u
Is it installed correctly? IIRC, The oem crash bar on my '14 SGS top tab went behind the top frame mount and not in front. Could yours be improperly mounted?
Now that makes sense

Old 06-27-2021, 06:25 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Originally Posted by rsalway
Did this fix the issue? Can you get pics of the washer he used?
Sorry, no pics, but it corrected his issue.
Originally Posted by rsalway
Now that makes sense
No it doesn't. The mounting hole in the frame isn't threaded. The tab on the guard is threaded. There's no way to mount the guard's tab in front of the frame.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:39 PM
rsalway
Advanced

Mine was. They put a nylon washer on the back. I think I found the culprit. Just now having problems getting driver’s side bolts loose.

Old 06-27-2021, 06:55 PM
rsalway
Advanced

After removal and closer observation, I believe that it is indeed the wrong one for my bike or horribly designed. The original owner drilled the threaded hole and mounted it on the outside of the frame. The tab will only go part way into the frame and then moves the lower holes way out of line. Going to try to order another one and try it.