Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long should my rotors last on a 2016 CVO limited

Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Shuv
Mine are starting to warp at 32K
CVO Rotors are of the floating design, they don't warp. clean the rivets with soap and a toothbrush.

We had this discussion a couple of years ago after a dealer tried to sell myself and a few others new rotors claiming they warped.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,477 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
I have a much different view of rotor warp. I believe hd’s non floating rotors are prone to warping with decently hard use. Heat em up real good;warp. Other than warping, hard pads should yield long mileage, but grabby soft pads will grind up rotors rather quickly.
Those rotors are forged in much higher temps than anything you can generate by hard braking. Its impossible for heat to warp them. However, like I said, they can wear unevenly or brake residue can build on them in an uneven coating that feels like "warping".

Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
I have a much different view of rotor warp. I believe hd’s non floating rotors are prone to warping with decently hard use. Heat em up real good;warp. Other than warping, hard pads should yield long mileage, but grabby soft pads will grind up rotors rather quickly.
I completely disagree, especially with the pad comment, it’s the opposite actually, do soft grippy tires wear out the road faster? Lol

Old 02-06-2018, 03:34 PM
oynk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies , all helps , BIke still HD dealership waiting to here from them and the solution , lot of info , so could this be a rotor out of spec and pads out of spec when fitted...like a big bit of stirng so many variables

Old 02-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Awful Allen
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Having read this thread and also being someone who has to replace rotors frequently, I'll add my $0.02... rotors warp due to heat and wear... I know because I have heat issues on Ultra, dual front, and wear/heat on my Fatboy, single front. Rotors do not cool evenly period.... the pad holds heat on the rotor when you stop, so if you heat it up and park it before a cool down you get warpage.... long haul touring guys don't tend to have issues as they never really heat up the rotors.... I ride my Ultra more like a sport bike and heat the brakes up a lot! FYI the ABS does not prohibit backing it into the corners! So I put rotors on about every 11,000 miles, I hate a pulse in my brakes. Single fronts get a pulse as the tire wears... the shimmy that starts as tire wears, it causes a pulse on the brake. 65,000 miles on Fatboy and rotors every 12-14,000 miles. Also the heat doesn't help, it's my errand bike most of the time... the heat issue applies to all brakes on all vehicles.... it is just a matter of time. Easy brakers may take hundreds of thousands of miles to heat cycle enough to notice....Hard brakers may only need a few thousand to have issues.... the difference between a candle and a blow torch!

the boys....

The following 2 users liked this post by Awful Allen:
oynk (02-11-2018), Peter Griffin (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 03:03 PM
oynk
6th Gear

Thanks for the Info ,I am a touring person , so not hard on breaks especially front breaks , everyone rides different , my normall is slightly off throtle use wind forces as well depnding where I am placed on road , gears , back breaks like trasil blazzing then front breaks ,
this is my first Harley Davidson out of four that I had this issue or supposed issue , I have just been told by delaer now they don't think it is Rotors ,so waitng to see what they say , just had new front tire on.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes300
I completely disagree, especially with the pad comment, it’s the opposite actually, do soft grippy tires wear out the road faster? Lol
Thanks for setting me and the thread straight re soft pads. Apologies for posting bad info.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:10 PM
oynk
6th Gear

So this could go on for awhile ,Picking up my bike from dealer , so Rotors were changed as out of spec , also new break pads , with service put on New back tyre , will keep a log of how this now performs.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Changed the fronts at 40,000 miles. Rear are still original equipment at 58,000 miles.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:58 PM
oynk
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long should my rotors last on a 2016 CVO limited