Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 H.D. FLHTCU ABS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Spiguy, please don't take this the wrong way but if you reinstalled the wheel in the wrong direction you need to have your work supervised or your could end up getting yourself or others seriously injured or killed. Removing and reinstalled a motorcycle wheel is one of the easier tasks. Just don't want to see you getting hurt. Nothing wrong with working on your own scoot but sometimes two sets of eyes are better.
With wheels ON the bike, I take a Sharpie marker and put a few little arrows on the brake rotors for direction of rotation. Its engraved on there already, but kinda hard to see when bike ages and gets dirty. Not quite noticeable to a passerby, but a nice failsafe (for me at least)

Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Those spacers are also specific in that they need to be put back on the correct side and some even have marks or lines that need to be put back in the same orientation (has marks to the outside, or notch to the inside, etc). Did you make sure to check for that?? When I take my wheels off for the first time, I usually draw an arrow pointing to the direction that the spacer needs to face just so I don’t overlook that.
How do you know which way the spacer is supposed to go? I'm having the same issue with drag on wheel rotation. I took the wheel off to have the tire swapped out at an indy shop. I then reinstalled the wheel and torqued to the specs in the factory service manual. While everything was apart I replaced the brake pads on the bike.

The wheel drags significantly now, and I assumed that it was the brake pads dragging. I did all this three months ago and I can't remember 100% for sure if I kept the spacers on the same side they originally were installed on. I certainly can't remember which side of the spacer is facing inside/outside.

The bike has been sitting on my lift ever since then (I did the work right before deploying out of the country) and I'd like to figure out what to look fore when I return to the states. I have a 2009 FLHTCU (ABS equipped).

Thanks for help!

Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Beveled edge of a spacer usually goes toward the bearing.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by FLshovelhead
How do you know which way the spacer is supposed to go? I'm having the same issue with drag on wheel rotation. I took the wheel off to have the tire swapped out at an indy shop. I then reinstalled the wheel and torqued to the specs in the factory service manual. While everything was apart I replaced the brake pads on the bike.

The wheel drags significantly now, and I assumed that it was the brake pads dragging. I did all this three months ago and I can't remember 100% for sure if I kept the spacers on the same side they originally were installed on. I certainly can't remember which side of the spacer is facing inside/outside.

The bike has been sitting on my lift ever since then (I did the work right before deploying out of the country) and I'd like to figure out what to look fore when I return to the states. I have a 2009 FLHTCU (ABS equipped).

Thanks for help!
If your bike is abs equipped, you’ll only have one spacer. The abs sensor acts as the other spacer but must be installed correctly with the wire lead towards the outside of the wheel.

Did you clean your pistons in your calipers before pushing them in to install your new pads? If not, you probably pushed dirty pistons into your calipers and your dust & square seals are causing the drag. Those brembo calipers cannot be rebuild so you need to be very careful when working with them.

Also, you should flush your brake fluid each time you change your pads. Brake fluid is always most dirty at the bottom in the caliper. If you just push the piston in without a flush, your pushing all that crap back towards the top into your master cylinder.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Beveled edge of a spacer usually goes toward the bearing.
Harley spacers, at least for the last 10 Years have two grooves on them and they’re installed with the grooves facing outboard towards the fork or swing arm.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:45 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Right Side

Left Side with ABS Sensor

These are from my 14 FLHTK (w/ABS)

Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig

These are from my 14 FLHTK (w/ABS)
Thanks for the pics. Those are very helpful. I'll have my wife go out to the garage and take a pic & send it to me so I can see which way mine are.

If your bike is abs equipped, you’ll only have one spacer. The abs sensor acts as the other spacer but must be installed correctly with the wire lead towards the outside of the wheel.

Did you clean your pistons in your calipers before pushing them in to install your new pads? If not, you probably pushed dirty pistons into your calipers and your dust & square seals are causing the drag. Those brembo calipers cannot be rebuild so you need to be very careful when working with them.

Also, you should flush your brake fluid each time you change your pads. Brake fluid is always most dirty at the bottom in the caliper. If you just push the piston in without a flush, your pushing all that crap back towards the top into your master cylinder.
CSMHOG,
I'm pretty sure that I have the ABS sensor installed correctly. I had the FSM out and pulled up a few youtube videos to make sure everything was installed correctly.

I didn't clean the pistons, but they didn't look dirty. I attempted to flush the brake fluid but I didn't do a very good job. There is just a hint of sponginess in the brakes now. Since my bike is in the year range affected by Harley's ABS brake fluid flush recall I was going to have it done at the dealership when I get back.

At this point I'm unclear if the issue is related to the brakes or the wheel bearings/spacer. I planned to pull the caliper off and spin the wheel to get answer. Obviously if the problem goes away with the brakes off then the wheel is fine, but if that didn't solve the problem then it's possible I installed the spacer backwards.

Thanks for the help guys! It'll give me a starting point when I get back to the states.

Harley spacers, at least for the last 10 Years have two grooves on them and they’re installed with the grooves facing outboard towards the fork or swing arm.
That's a good piece of knowledge to have. Wish I would have figured that one out earlier.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM
spiguy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issue Resolved!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request! The issue has been resolved. The tire/wheel was installed originally in the wrong direction. I went ahead and disassembled the wheel/tire from the front fork and reassembled in the correct direction. Every bolt was re-torqued to factory specs. Took the bike out for a road test and the amber anti-lock indicator is now off and the front brakes are working properly. Many thanks to you all!

The following users liked this post:
14GuineaPig (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Good to know! Go figure on it being the tire installation. Good thing to remember lol.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
spiguy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last note to those who also experienced the excessive drag when attempting to rotate the front wheel. The reason I experienced this issue of excessive drag was because when I first installed the wheel/tire in the wrong direction, I found out when I removed the Brembo brake caliper on the sensor side (left) I observed metal wear on the inner part of the brake caliper because the rotor was pressed up against the inner area of the brake caliper once the axle nut and cap nuts were torqued. Fortunately, there was no evidence of damage to the rotor or brake pads.

Quick Reply: 2012 H.D. FLHTCU ABS Issue